Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Erich Hartmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equipment

What tools and supplies are need to build and maintain a rc airplane?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
CRFlyer

Default RE: Equipment

You don't NEED much for tools. You probably have most of what is required. such as
assorted screw drivers
allen wrenches
tape measure
straight edge
pliers
exacto knife with #11 blades.

You also need something to cut wood with. a razer saw is inexpensive and nice to have. Also, a hack saw can be used and give a cut similar to the razer saw.

Depending on the kit, you may need a few other tools such as:
drill & bits
tap (most likely 1/4 X 20)

other nice to haves but are not required include:
scroll saw
band saw
power sander
etc.

I built several models with only the items listed in my first list. I have since aquired may of the other items, but they are luxuries and not REQUIRED to build kits.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Indeed, very few tools are needed to build beautiful planes. In addition to the above, I would add an iron for applying covering and a flat work surface. An old door is great but there are many other options.

Tom
Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 PM
J_R

I agree that minimal tools are absolutely required.

"Need" is another thing, only limited by your imagination. Need, in this hobby, is generally only truly limited by what you can sell your significent other on. Go to Lowe's and/or Home Depot and/or the LHS, buy one of every tool there, you will still be short of what you "need".
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
FHHuber
Banned

$12 travel iron is the best covering iron I have ever used. The "Monokote" iron I have gets used only for places the travel iron won't fit. (not many places...) And... you can sometimes get the travel iron for $1 at a garage sale.

If you don't break things and you get an ARF... you only need a coupld of small screwdrivers and a couple of allen keys.

If building you only NEED the flat building board, any common razor knife (or a utility type single edge razor blade) some pins, rubber bands, wax paper and glue. Then a drill of some sort for the engine bolt holes. Everything beyond that is extras.

The extras sure do make the job easier...
Old 04-29-2004, 06:06 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, the tools have been been covered. (But I'd add a heat gun for re-shrinking the covering when it wrinkles.)
All of the above is really only geared to ARF's in my opinion. To build a kit I'd suggest many more tools.

Now for the supplies required to fly it.

Fuel, fuel pump, plus additional fuel line. Fuel filter is also a good idea.
Glow igniter with charger if you go with the self contained type.
Additional glow plug or two, and a glow plug wrench. (Also works for changing props.)
Extra props, and of different sizes.
Chicken stick, but a 12 volt starter with 12 volt battery and charger is better.
A box of #64 rubber bands if you have a trainer with a wing that requires them.

An "Expanded Scale Voltmeter" is almost a necessity for checking your receiver batteries after every flight or two.
A fast charger (Quick Peak Detection" field charger) will allow you to charge battery packs at the field so you can continue flying.

A tachometer will help tune your engine, but isn't necessary if you have help.

Stuff to clean the plane, such as paper towels and "Windex"; or baby wipes.

A box of some type to hold all this stuff.

There's lots of other stuff that will make flying and maintaining an RC aircraft easier, but this will get you started.
Dennis-