Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monocote over Ultracote?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monocote over Ultracote?

Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 AM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monocote over Ultracote?

Will Monocote adhere to Ultracote? Or vise versa? I want to use the Ultracote checker board pattern for the bottom of the wings and fuse and some of the Monocote colors that I have left over from previous kits on the top of my 4*60.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Monocote over Ultracote?

Monocote takes more heat. It will make a mess of the ultracote. If you want to do it that way, research the windex method of installing it and you don't apply heat that way. I would do it that way and you won't have a problem. I dont remember whos post it was, but he showed fully how to install monokote with the windex method doing a flag and it was amazing. Try that. You will do fine that way. Heat will cause you problems if you go monocote over top I think.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:17 AM
J_R

Yes

Monokote will stick to Ultacote and vice versa. The temp used is different, but it does work. Actually laying one over the other is another issue, but sealing to the edges works fine.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1466330
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=603331

There may be some information that you find useful in the above threads. Gator is an expert.

Eric
Old 05-05-2004, 10:43 AM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys. J_R, that was pretty much my question. I don't want to do trim with monocote and ultracote. just want to join them at the LE and TE. Guess I should have been a little clearer in my question.

Tazz
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
FHHuber
Banned

My tiger 60 ARF came covered in ultracoate. I've NEVER seen a roll of Ultracoat.[&:] (local shops have never carried it... they always sem to have Monokote, Econokote, Towerkote... Saw Solarfilm a couple of times... and one place had Coverite.)

To seal up the joints when I put on the tailfeathers, I used strips cut from Monokote (the color ALMOST matches... can't see it from 5 feet) And... I ran the iron temp right up to where I normally do for shrinking/seling Monokote. No problems at all.

Then, I went over the whole airplane with the iron at that temp... No holes.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some Econocoat from several years ago when I really didn't know much about coverings. I've patched some large areas over Ultracoat on my trainer with it. It worked out well enough. Ultracoat takes more heat than Econocoat.