Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how much do you ACTUALLY fly

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how much do you ACTUALLY fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do you ACTUALLY fly

In RC we definetly spend more time building planes, setting up at the field, driving to the field, etc. then we actually spend in the air. How small do you think the percentage of time dedicated to RC is actually "in the air" time? Factor in EVERYTHING. Time on simulator, RC universe, building, trips to LHS, repairing, breaking in motors, etc. Personally I would guess less than 5% is "in air". In doing some rough estimates on my flying and if actual flying were the only enjoyable part of the hobby each minute of flight would cost me $10+ and an hour or so of work. Think about the guy who buys a setup, builds his trainer over weeks, flies for 10 seconds, destroys the plane and then walks away from the hobby. "Fly time" vs money & personal time spent would be really low. What amount of "fly time" vs money spent & personal time to you all get?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: how much do you ACTUALLY fly

LOL, yes actual flying time is a very small percentage for many of us. Fortunately, all the other things you mentioned are enjoyable parts of the hobby as well adding to the overall enjoyment.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:13 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Hmmm... I like to fly a LOT!

30 min drive to field... spend 6 hours at the field... my TX ends up saying it was on for a little over 2 hours. Probably 90 to 100 min of that in the air. 30 min drive back. I do that almost every week.

I'll go several weeks (now[&:]) without having to do much in the way of mantenance at home. I "fiddle with" the planes while talking to others at the field.

Setting up an ARF... just 4 to 8 hours.

Building projects... Well... they can take forever if you do what I'm working on... I'll let you know if its ready to fly in 2 or 3 years.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:37 PM
bojangle

When I built my first rc trainer (a foam wing simple box, 2 channel, 049 no throttle) I flew it practically every day. It served as my tranquilizer.

Then....on the advice of my doctor, sold my business, moved to dryer climate and started up a cattle ranch. Work (exercise) doubled, stress disappeared, but little daylight time to fly. Also there is a strange little malady that affects all fliers

When we first start, we throw something together (or get a "barf") and fly it. Then we start building more elaborate, and yes, more expensive models. We get so picky about everything that sometimes the planes never get done. I have 9 unfinished in the garage attic. I have one that took me 5 years to build, I will probably never fly it.

Since I live on the ranch, my airspace is unlimited. And I still find myself trapped in my shop, most often because the wind blows a lot. Or too tired, or wife needs some time. Or, with so many planes, just can't decide what to fly.

At this very moment, I have 2 planes on charge. a good friend and neighbor called. He also has a private field. He says lets go flying!!!!! We will probably get in a couple of flights this evening, then spend a few hours in his shop working on a project.

As Kmot said, it's not the flying, it's the whole hobby. It's the fellowship of flyers, friends helping friends. My bad eyes kept me out of the Air Force, but planes are still my PASSION.

I read posts like "I have 400 flights on my plane".....I wish I had that much free time.

BO
Old 05-08-2004, 06:07 PM
bigchap

every sunday from 10 a.m. 'til 8 p.m.,when our crappy british weather allows
Old 05-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I was a young teenager, during the good season, I think I flew at least an hour almost every day (actual air time)...
My dad insisted on going flying when the weather was good enough, and we took that concept pretty large... if it wasn't raining and there weren't hurricane force winds, the weather was mostly considered good enough
His idea was that there was only one way to become good at it, and that is to practise (and he's right)...
Between the age of 12 and 17 I must have gathered a tremendous amount of air time... I miss those days...

And now... well, don't even get me started... not nearly enough...
Old 05-08-2004, 10:21 PM
bojangle

An update....(see above post)
AAAAhhhh, just had my "fix".... 3 hours of flying.. then home to a fried chicken dinner.....an ice cold brewski and back to the forum..
So what does an old duffer like me fly? And where?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63909.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	130461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76920.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	130462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10797.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	130463  
Old 05-09-2004, 06:33 AM
aimmaintenance

It's kinda like when I was a teenager chasin girls.

Ya call em a few times. (product research)

Ask em out. (product ordering)

Take the girl out for dinner and a movie. (payin for your order)

Ya tell her all night how your not like all the other guys. (building the plane)

Ya drive to lookout point. (going to the field)

Foreplay (adjusting the control surfaces)

NOW THE MOMENT OF TRUTH!

She says NO.. (engine won't start)

She says 3rd base only. (taxiing around but not leavin the ground)

Premature ej******** (crashed right after takeoff)

Had a fantastic romp. (flew like a dream)

Tell her you'll still respect her in the morning. (thinking about your next product research)

All added up, girls take about 10 hrs work and $150 bucks for 6 minutes worth of enjoyment.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:25 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a calculator to help locate your C/G. Should be about 30% of MAC.
http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm

Just noticed this reply has nothing to do with this post, must have hit the wrong button again. Sorry.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:31 AM
bbbair

Yes;
The ratio of air time to ground time is definately not balanced...BUT as I like to say; "What we have here is a Social Club, and by the way, We also fly airplanes."

If all that you did was go out to an empty field (alone) and go flying, how long would you stay there? How much fun would you be having if there was no one to share the experiance with?

A group of like minded people enjoying a shared passion, takes a fun experiance and turns it into a great hobby.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:19 AM
bentgear

bbbair, having moved over from racing rc cars I have found being at the field alone can be very enjoyable and I find myself back in the air about every five minutes. With cars I had to have somebody to race against. With planes the only one I am in competion with is myself. Now if somebody else hapens to drop in, then it just gets better and flyins are great, even if you don't bring a plane.

I have found during the summer months when not out of town on business I will burn over a gallon a week on 40 to 90 sized planes.

Ed M.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much and as often as I can. One day maybe only one flight, then the next time, maybe four or more flights.
[&:]
Old 05-09-2004, 10:13 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

is that a supersport ?

looks great
Old 05-09-2004, 12:30 PM
bojangle

Fury
Well, it is a highly modified Supersport. I'm posting all the mods to a new Supersport thread in the Kit Building Forum. And thanks for the nice comments.
It flies like its name..SUPER.. As for the topic, I'm going flying all afternoon today (after I take my wife out to lunch). Ain't I sneaky?

When I first get to the field, yes there is sorta a lonely feeling if no one else shows up. I too like to fly with others, But when I get the plane up, the loneliness passes. But since our fields are private, we are sorta picky who can fly there. They must be AMA members, and have an airplane (how's that for stringent requirements?) Spectators always welcome. Close the gates cause we don't want cow patties on the runway. If anyone is coming our way, PM me and will try to make a time.

BO
Old 05-09-2004, 04:22 PM
dicknadine

you got it correct. Social until the 1st boo-boo and then all of the experts chime in. sometimes theres more fon in building alone in the hanger. today its social with my drawing and building tools, they don't complain or jest- just do us they are told, most of the time and gFXGRXGH., did it again. dick
Old 05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: bojangle

An update....(see above post)
AAAAhhhh, just had my "fix".... 3 hours of flying.. then home to a fried chicken dinner.....an ice cold brewski and back to the forum..
So what does an old duffer like me fly? And where?

Great looking ship, bojangle, and what a beautiful site! I have not been to your state in several years now. That photo reminds me that I must go back!

jess
Old 05-09-2004, 10:04 PM
bojangle

Jessie
Thanks for the comments, Like I said, come on over and fly.

Today I went to the field but the wind was blowing about 25mph. I waited a bit, then said heck I'm gonna fly anyway. Takeoff runs were very short, once the plane was up, it handled the wind well. It was blowing so hard I couldn't hear the engine. Landings were almost vertical. I had a ball. My plane simply won't stall, couple times I just throttled down and let it hang there. Then turn downwind and go like a bat outa you know what. I got three fantastic flights.

Three of my flying buddies stayed home today, said it was too windy??. They think I'm nuts??
The wind is your friend....use it.
BO
Old 05-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Gdolboy3

I try to take advantage of good weather. I enjoy a windy day everynow and then, I won't fly as many times on a windy day, but at least 2 or 3 times. A good cross wind is fun on occasion. Seeing your plane crabbin' it's way in is pretty neat. When the day is perfect, however, I try to enjoy at least 6 flights. At least one an hour, plus students. If you count the time with them, I average a good 10 flights a day. I know instructing isn't the same as flying your own model, but you're right there with a transmitter in your hands, and doing some landings depending on where your student is at. bbbair says it best with how it's a social club and ya fly planes too. That's probably second best to actually flying. As far as what the percentage is in comparison to flying, and all other associated things I don't really think that it's an actually amount you can compare. For me, the building is fun, and the visits to the hobby store, and the RCU, and all the other little things are out weighed by the actually flying. If it wasn't you wouldn't put 100 hours into a kit, and $500 plus into all the equipment and aircraft if the enjoyment of flying didn't outweigh the ground work. That's how I see it anyways
Old 05-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I figured I spend 40 minutes in the air for 6 hours of activity.
That is 40 minuites out of 360 or about 11% of the time.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Roby

Very good thread.

I spend an average of 20 hrs a week in my shop
I only go to the field on Sat and Sun mornings.
I get about 2 hrs (total)of actual air time so that equates
to 10 %. Good thing I enjoy building giant scale stuff to
fill up the leftover 90%

Regards
Roby
Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
dicknadine

I'm pretty close to you, however the flying lately has been Zero, everyday is too windy. the old bones can stand all of the excitement of building and very litle of the traumatic flight failures. however we keep trying. in fact torential rain rite now, 10" yesterday in town next to us. the attachements, new 14" wing Flying Qaker fuselage (9' long), gas and electric keep me going, dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40986.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	131207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41112.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	131208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87952.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	113.0 KB