Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine dieing after Long Runs and Loops.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine dieing after Long Runs and Loops.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Tycer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dieing after Long Runs and Loops.

Flew my UcanDo for the first time today. Wow!! What a beauty. Didnt have to touch trim at all and flew like a champ. Problem I had was after I would fly for a while and do a couple loops it would loose power and then would go to an idle and eventually die. Felt like it was running out of fuel. Using the Tower .70 engine. After it lands It starts right back up and flies fine. I have checked the clunk and it seems to be fine. Also, how long should I be able to point my plane straight down while holding it before it dies? Thoughts are: 1- Sucking air from quick fill 2-Maybe fuel is becoming foamy. 3-Engine isnt completely broken in.
I have ran at least 1/2 gallon through it. Anyone had this problem and offer any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:42 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine dieing after Long Runs and Loops.

It could be overheating Tycer. Try a flight without the cowl and see what happens. Or richen the mixture a few clicks.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:03 AM
davidmor

It sounds like it is just a hair lean. Try and richen it up a click or two and fly again. Also, it may have just been a typo, but a lean test is pointing the nose straight UP not down. I hold mine up for at least 15-20 seconds for the first flight of the day just to make sure it doesn't die. It should raise RPM's a little but not die. In theory you should be able to hold it like that until the tank is empty if you have the patience and no better use for glow fuel!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Right. Holding the nose UP is the test for needle setting. RPM should increase about 400 to 500 when the nose is raised to nearly vertical. If there's no increase, or the engine RPM sags or it dies, then your setting is too lean.

Sounds like the problem to me.
Dennis-
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Tycer

When I lift the nose the RPMs actually decrease. I bet you all are right. I will try that later and see what happens. THANKS!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:20 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

also, take the fuel filler out of the loop and see how that does. Those things cause so many problems. I use them too but what a pain. Most of them leak air bad.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:28 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

If its one of the ones with the little spring-loaded pin in it, the pin has a nasty little habbit of not coming back out