Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pick-Up Truck Bed Solutions?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pick-Up Truck Bed Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Rayvyn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick-Up Truck Bed Solutions?

I was wondering if anyone out there had any innovative ways of carrying their RC planes in their open bed pick-up? I don't have a cap or cover so need to find the best way to carry my planes to the flying field... Just a Tacoma with a 6' bed... If you have any photos of how you get your stuff around, please share them here...

THX
Old 05-19-2004, 07:16 PM
seanucd2000

Default RE: Pick-Up Truck Bed Solutions?

Not sure if you have the bed liner or not, I do. I put two 2x4's in the two slots horizontally in the bed liner. You can see them molded in to almost any liner, or regular bed for that matter. Then I screw 12" or so pieces of PVC pipe onto them. It then looks like a sideways wing rack you would use on the wall. Just cover the PVC in pipe foam insulation and you got it. Nothing moves around, and it is safe. I have little eye hooks screwed into the wood in various places so I can attach small bungee cords to keep it blowing around. I also have the two pipes far enough apart so the fuse fits inbetween and doesn't move. Never lost anything but some foam pipe stuff yet!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made these racks to store and transport my planes to the field in the back of my small ranger open pickup. I just bungee 2-3 planes stacked like this down to the bed and put a bubber band around one end of the wings holding them together to keep them from rocking in the wind. 60 mph no problem. Racks come apart to serve as stands at the field. 3/4" PVC. Cheap and simple.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17972.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	134174  
Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
bojangle

Since I have my own field, I fly out of my garage/hangar. But one time I went to my neighbor's field, and I bungee corded my assembled plane on top of the cab, on the ladder rack. Sure got some weird stares from people on the county road.

But seriously, I think the plane would ride better assembled and tethered, if it would fit.

BO
Old 05-19-2004, 09:08 PM
John Sachs

Yep, I bought a nylon cargo net and I use that. It does a pretty decent job holding my trainer down. I don't have to worry about anything flying out of the back. Hecht, I've even driven on the interstate going about 55 mph and the netting did a good job holding everything in place. No complaints.
John
Old 05-20-2004, 01:36 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I, too, found that elastic cargo nets work well.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 AM
KW_Counter

I build PVC carriers for all of my planes. They keep the plane from moving around in the bed and getting damaged.
They are also used for storage in the rafters,
Adapting them to hold the plane from lifting up would be easy, rubber bands even work.
Then have a weight to hold down the carrier. You could even use bungee cords with attachments on the bottom of the bed.

I actually have a roll up cover on my truck to keep stuff in.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my PU, I put a sheet of 1/2" ply in the bed and used some heavy duty cup hooks in the appropriate places on the ply to fasten wide rubber bands and/or fabric covered bungee cords to hold the plane and other stuff in place. I suggest wrapping the wing(s) in a beach towel before fastening them down to prevent scuffing/tearing.

I had no problems even at 65 on the pike. The weight of the ply keeps it in the bed and the rubber bands/bungee cords kept everything from shifting/moving.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:04 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Before I got my cap I used the spring loaded shower curtain rods. Adjust them for a snug fit under the rails and cover with foam. to hold the planes I used the metal shower curtain hanger and the good old #64 rubber bands. Place a hanger on each side of the fuse and wing and stretch a rubber band over and hook to the other side. the wings will take two bands tied together with a larks head knot.

I have road tested this setup up to 70 mph without any problems. You have to keep a close eye on the bands and change them often. The sun will deteriorate them in a couple weeks.

DEG
Old 05-20-2004, 04:52 PM
TNRabbit

There is another thread on this topic with VERY interesting PVC pipe configurattions. Search on "PVC"
Old 05-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Rayvyn

In case anyone else was looking...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tm.asp?m=236846

Thx Again...