Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how many pounds does a gallon of water weight?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how many pounds does a gallon of water weight?

Old 06-10-2004, 11:08 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: how many pounds does a gallon of water weight?

I've had to use both systems and I prefer the U.S. over metric. Metric is kinda like soccer IMO. It just won't take over here and never will, even if the rest of the planet loves it. I don't care if metric is based on 10s. If you want accuracy that bad, go binary and forget the 10 based crap. If someone forces me to use metric, I just memorize the conversion factors and do it in my head back to U.S. standard. Did that for years when I lived, drove, shopped, and flew in Europe.

Another thing about 10 base- if you lose a finger to a prop you are up ***** creek anyway with metric. (g)

It ain't exactly a standard system thru out Europe anyways if you consider all of the British standards. If you are an American flying around in Europe and have dealings with English aviation, you have to know 3 standards. U.S., metric, and British. I'm not knocking the British at all. They have their standards and it works for them. I kinda like that. I keep hoping they don't adopt the Euro anyway. Individuality isn't a bad thing, and it certainly isn't holding England back.

We've done pretty well on this side of the ocean with our non-metric systems. We haven't forced it on the population and still went to the moon a few times. In real life dollars and cents, it would cost billions to completely convert over to be like almost everyone else.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Dano13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!

The original post was simply asking about the weight of a gallon of water, in ounces....

dano13
Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

The following site has free conversion software that will convert almost anything. You may want to download it and install it on your PC, its a great tool.

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 06-10-2004, 12:01 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: blwblw

I've had to use both systems and I prefer the U.S. over metric. Metric is kinda like soccer IMO. It just won't take over here and never will, even if the rest of the planet loves it. I don't care if metric is based on 10s. If you want accuracy that bad, go binary and forget the 10 based crap. If someone forces me to use metric, I just memorize the conversion factors and do it in my head back to U.S. standard. Did that for years when I lived, drove, shopped, and flew in Europe.

Another thing about 10 base- if you lose a finger to a prop you are up ***** creek anyway with metric. (g)

It ain't exactly a standard system thru out Europe anyways if you consider all of the British standards. If you are an American flying around in Europe and have dealings with English aviation, you have to know 3 standards. U.S., metric, and British. I'm not knocking the British at all. They have their standards and it works for them. I kinda like that. I keep hoping they don't adopt the Euro anyway. Individuality isn't a bad thing, and it certainly isn't holding England back.

We've done pretty well on this side of the ocean with our non-metric systems. We haven't forced it on the population and still went to the moon a few times. In real life dollars and cents, it would cost billions to completely convert over to be like almost everyone else.
ROFLMAO

Is that imperial or binary dollars and cents?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold on JR, I'm converting in my head as I type....

Alabama was going to convert all road signs to metric recently. I never read the background on the decision, but the costs were staggering...just for all road signs in the state. It was not a popular decision and it was killed.

Still converting.......
Old 06-11-2004, 04:43 AM
XJet
Banned

One good reason that imperial sucks is the advent of digital technology.

I've got several sets of digital calipers and a DRO on my mill.

Hands up all those who can do the math in their head and tell me what decimal fraction of an inch 5/64ths is?

Yeah, that's right -- converting fractions to decimals so you can use your fancy new digital measuring tools is a real pain in the backside with imperial.

In the case of metric -- it's real easy. You don't have 5/64ths of a meter -- *every* measurement is expressed as a whole number and (if necessary) a decimal portion.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:32 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5/64ths is about 15 thou x5
Old 06-12-2004, 11:33 PM
bobbyclark

I used to work in the chemical business (actually, a US company based in Australia - Diamond Shamrock ...yes, i know, they made "Agent Orange", among other atrocious substances) and have reasonable knowledge on this. I live in Australia, so I can only comment with metric measurements...

At 20 degrees celsius, H20 (water) has a SG (specific gravity) of 1:1.
Meaning - At 20 celcius, 1 Litre of H20 will weight exactly 1 kilogram (1000 grams).

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,
Bob Clark
Old 06-13-2004, 12:55 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

5/64ths is about 15 thou x5
Yep, with the key word in that sentence being *about*.

It's actually closer to 16 thou x 5

That demonstrates my claim that there's a big problem going from fractions to decimals in the imperial system.

Using your estimate, you'd be three thou out -- that's a *lot* in many machining operations.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:05 AM
TNRabbit

Once again:

The original question in this thread was "How much does a gallon of water weigh?

and was asked by someone trying to determine the accuracy of his scales. He found out and has determined his scales were off @ 2 lbs.

CAN WE PLEASE KILL THIS STUPID THREAD AND GO FLY!!!!! (or build)

[sm=punching.gif]

[sm=wink.gif]
Old 06-13-2004, 06:59 AM
The Ghost

XJet
5/64" = 0.078125 thou = 1.984375mm close enough. 1 Ltr = 1 Kg @ 20c simple for weight checking. ie, 500ml = 1/2 kg 500gms.
Cheers.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Mitty

I might repit somebody but 1 liter of water weight 1 Kilogramm.Metric seems to be easier ..Maybe because i am Russian...Or redneck...HEHE
Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 PM
britbrat

J_R said "1 cubic centimeter of water, at it's triple point (where it exists as liquid, vapor, and solid at the same time), weighs one gram." -- that is fly poop J_R, the triple point of water is 0.000 deg C. 1 cubic centimeter of water @ 3.98 deg C weighs 1.00000 gm
Old 06-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

I'm not trying to be picky, but I'm still trying to figure out how the one guy had a 9 lb gallon of fuel. Even at 40% nitro and 20% oil I only come up with a shade over 8 lbs for a gallon. (Spec Grav Meth 0.79, Nitro 1.13, and castor 0.98) What type of fuel was that?

Duke
Old 06-16-2004, 05:01 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

XJet
5/64" = 0.078125 thou = 1.984375mm close enough.
Cheers.
I gather you've never tried to turn a shaft to the correct size to make a comfortable interference fit with a specifically sized bearing :-)

That's nowhere near "close enough" for many machining operations.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: britbrat
J_R said "1 cubic centimeter of water, at it's triple point (where it exists as liquid, vapor, and solid at the same time), weighs one gram." -- that is fly poop J_R, the triple point of water is 0.000 deg C. 1 cubic centimeter of water @ 3.98 deg C weighs 1.00000 gm
I will stand by what I wrote. Be aware that the triple point is not just temperature sensitive, but pressure sensitive. I can quote ad-nauseum to support my point, however, in the realm of modeling... and for that matter, almost any other realm, it is irrelevant. The basic fact that 1 cubic cm of water weighs a gram is the only important concept to most human beings.

If one remembers, in round numbers, and not to an absolute accuracy, that there are 28.3 gm per oz, 2.2 pounds per kg, and 2.54 cm per inch, one can make almost any conversion with a paper and pencil... assuming one can do basic math and has a rudimentary knowledge of the system most used in the US... at least for the purposes of modeling.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 PM
J_R

Ok, I stand corrected... sorta. I went and looked for the first time in 40 years, and I was wrong. The mass of a gram is measured at the temperature and pressure where water has it's maximum specific gravity... about 4 C, as britbrat said.

In a little self defense, the tirple point of water is not the same as the freezing point i.e. 0C, it is marginally higher.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

It may have been said further up; As I learnt it at school, a pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter. That's an imperial pint incidentally.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default RE: How much does a hundredweight weigh in Kilograms? (Trick question)

Arguing over whether the "triple point" of water or the "maximum specific gravity" is the reference is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the metric system.

Nor is the need to stock a "one and one half" mm hex wrench in my toolbox. (The more you think about it, the sillier it seems.)

And by the way, just because you have ten fingers and ten toes doesn't make ten a better number to measure with than 12. 10 is divisible by 1, 2, 5 and 10. 12 is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12. That is why I don't have a five-and-a-half/64ths hex wrench.

Also, the French invented the metric system and, afterwards, never won another war. Think about it.[:@] The "boon to mankind" promised by adoption of the metric system never occurred, and is never likely to occur, because the means of measurement is irrelevant so long as it is widely accepted and consistent from place to place. The U.S. has officially been metric for years, but the change is unnecessary and unbeneficial so people ignore it.

The SAE system evolved over many hundreds of years out of the need for flexibility, expediency and efficiency in measurement; the metric system was imposed by governmental (that is, political) fiat. Which is likely to be better based on that fact alone?

On the other hand, the civilization that evolved and adopted the SAE system accumulated and kept the largest and longest-lasting modern empire in the world.

You guys keep having fun. Water still weighs the same as always.

Regards.