Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dremel Moto-Tool parts/repair source needed

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dremel Moto-Tool parts/repair source needed

Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dremel Moto-Tool parts/repair source needed

I have a 15 year old Moto-Tool. It broke today. I took it apart and what broke is a rubber spline flex coupling. I have been searching Google for a parts supplier. Absolutely no one lists this flex coupling and all the current Moto-Tools don't have it anymore. They use a solid armature instead. (Gee, wonder why? )

Dremel Corp itself says they sell spare parts, but they won't be open till next Tuesday and even if they stock this obsolete part it takes 3-4 weeks to deliver parts from them.

Soooo....... has anyone with the same type flex coupler Moto-Tool broken theirs and then repaired it? And/or know of a comprehensive online parts source for older Dremel moto-tools?

As an alternative I was thinking of looking for any type of splined rubber tubing that I might be able to use. Anyone know of such stuff?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
dremeltoolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dremel Moto-Tool parts/repair source needed

I was wondering if you ever replaced the part you broke on your moto tool. I am also looking for the same piece. Did you have any luck finding it, if so could you tell me where i can get one?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Kmot

Yes! My lhs had the name.

Dremel Authorized Service Center
4631 East Sunny Dunes
Palm Springs, CA 92264
(800) 275-2052
Rob Dremel

They instantly knew the part I was asking about and asked "how many?" Cost, $1.25 each.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:40 AM
dremeltoolman

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 02:46 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

I used to live close to that shop in Palm Springs. Run by the grandson of Mr. Dremel himself. VERY nice to work with and has a good stock of old parts too.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Mike Ledbetter

It is worth pointing out that the new Dremels come with a lifetime guarantee. I threw one out and bought another when the motor burned out; now I know better.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
sltan

I have a 15 years old Dremel Moto Tool. Still using it today, still using the same carbon brush! These thing lasts! The only thing that broke was the soft plastic tube coupling. It broke not because I overload it, but it disintegrated itself after all these years. The new Dremels have a solid metal shaft. Some Dremel sellers do not even know that older models uses this plastic coupling. I believed the plastic (or whatever poly material) coupling is used as a safety clutch system to break away in the event of a high speed dead-stop, which can overload the coils and burn it. Coil is $$$$, plastic is cheap.

Now, how to fix it if you cannot find a replacement part? Very simple: gather all the broken pieces, mix yourself some high-strength epoxy and medium duty sewing thread (I use white threads).

I call it Epoxy Fiber Reinforced Remedy (can be used to fix a lot of shaft/motor/coupling problems)

Start by winding the thread around the broken coupling (you may contact adhesive it first), together with the all the shafts so that all becomes 1 piece (the chuck side, the broken coupling and the motor shaft). Coat it with some epoxy, wind more thread, more epoxy, thread,epoxy... Wind the thread nicely so that it spread across the coupling to form a uniform epoxy fiber reinforced tube around the broken coupling. I finish it with a strip of paper as the last wound to give it a more solid appearance. Then let it cure overnight and presto! This epoxy fiber shell will become a ROCK SOLID coupling, encasing the broken coupling inside. This will last another life time.

Just make sure you don't wind too much that it becomes a big ball and you cannot put it back into the Dremel housing. Also, don't let the epoxy drip, just enough to wet the cotton thread fibers. Don't forget to put the brass bushing in first, and make sure that the epoxy doesn't reach any bearing/bushing!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the coupling with 1/4†fuel tubing about a year ago. The tubing does not have splines but the repair was quick and the tubing was in the round things box making it cheap.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Ledbetter

It is worth pointing out that the new Dremels come with a lifetime guarantee. I threw one out and bought another when the motor burned out; now I know better.

Didn,t know that but sent a 10 year old unit back to the Palm Springs facility a while back that I had somehow managed to burn out, with a note that said repair or replace as neccessary. Quite a surprise when back came a brand new unit of the latest model marked no charge[8D]

Seems almost as though they are imitating Hitecs success with curtomer service.

John
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
rascott

Another option for the small plastic bushing is to use a couple of layers of heat shring tubing. Amazing how many uses can be found for that stuff.
Bob
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
WCB

The speed control went out on my brother's Dremel tool after several years of almost daily use. I called the repair center and got instructions on how to send it back. A week later it was returned to him repaired. No charge. Great service!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
johndavid24

thanks for the phone number Kmot, i need a coupler too
Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
33fanw

nylon coupling you are looking for,the part# you need is 2615294309 just ordered it from a canadian company

from Giles tools @ 1 800 268-4255 toll free good luck!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I just fried my coupler this weekend. Great thread.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
LunaSea

I had this happen a couple years ago. I was able to remove the bad end of the coupler and simply slide it a little further down the shaft (used the original part). I was long enough to make up to the lost piece. Has been working fine ever since. I am sure it will break again, someday, and when it does I will have to come up with a better solution as it will not be long enough to do this again...
Old 01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Goinstraightup

I'll give that a try and see how it goes. I was able to slip the part on both sides. It is held on each side by a little less than 1/8". Would like to see more holding area, but I'll give it a shot. It is working at the moment, but don't know how it will handle any load. Mine is a model 395 and says Dremel Racine WI on the back. At least 15 years old, probably closer to 20.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Villa

I have a perfectly good running Dremel Tool that is probably about 40 years old. No variable speed; no reverse rotation. The new Dremel Tool kits at Lowe's have so many goodies and cost practically nothing. I bought a brand new one last year and am having a ball with it. The old one hangs next to it and is full of memories. The old cutoff wheel "BLOWES UP" more frequently than I care to remember. The new tool is worth it just for the new fiber cut off wheels that comes with it. Much, much safer.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Kmot

This thread is still alive?

My old Dremel was un-repairable so I got a new replacement for free. It is a single speed model, like the original. I purchased a 90° head for it and now use it when I need the angle, otherwise I use my variable speed Dremel with the straight head.

Long live Dremel!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
The Ghost

Hi all, I bought mine in the 70's and have never had a problem with it, I use a Singer sowing machine foot controler to make it a variable speed and to control the speed while using it. Good to know about the way to repait it if reqiured.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51363.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1354750  
Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Goinstraightup

I ordered spare parts thru Dremel @ 1800 437 3635. I would highly recommend going with them as it turned out to be a fraction of the cost compared with the online parts places I checked out. I ordered 2 couplers and one drive spline and I was under $7 with shipping and tax!!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Goinstraightup

I got my parts and I'm back in action!!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
spanner48

Update:  I fried the little coupler [officially ''Drive pinion'', Part # 2615294308] again last week.  Went to order some replacements.  Bosch (who've taken over Dremel) ''No longer support'' this part.  It's been de-listed worldwide. 

According to both their UK agents, it's part of a deliberate policy by Bosch to obsolete all pre-Bosch [i.e. Dremel-designed] products, to force people to switch to Bosch's in-house designs.  This particular part  is in effect the 'sheer pin' for the motor, preventing an overload to cause the motor to stall and burn out.  So cutting it out is a good way to do this.

Anyone else come across this? 

spanner48 
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/customer...s/default.aspx

Contact the Dremel Experts for assistance
Phone:
1-800-437-3635
toll free:
1-262-554-1390
(7am-6pm CT Mon-Fri)
Email:
› Send us an email

USA Service Centers

Dremel Service Center Dremel Authorized Service
4915 21st Street 4631 E. Sunny Dunes Road
Racine, WI 53406 Palm Springs, CA 92264
Phone: 1-800-437-3635 Phone: 1-800-275-2052
1-262-554-1390

1-760-327-3003

Canadian Service

Dorson Ltd.
2071 Victoria Street
St. Lambert, Quebec J4S 1H1

Phone: 1-450-466-1173

Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
edsel58

I have an old Model 395 (over 20 years old). Today, I ordered three (3) couplers @ $2.95 each with $4.95 S&H from the Dremel Authorized Service  in Palm Springs. Phone: 1-800-275-2052.

The person I spoke with knew exactly what part I was looking for!

Warren
Old 02-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

my coupler just broke. rats. at least the part seems available

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.