Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying while driving

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:15 PM
adam_jorgensen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying while driving

I'm looking into taking the next step up in my flying skills and try flying my plane (sig LT-40) while following it in a car. I'm looking to take off from a spot and land at a spot that is about 4 miles from where I took off. I have heard of people doing this, is there anybody here that can offer me some advice before I go and do this? Is 4 miles to far? My biggest question is where do you fly your plane? In front of you while driving, or off to the side?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Flying while driving

Adam,

Our club has a cross country flight that is about 11 miles. The flyer sits facing backward and a spotter helps the driver on necesary decisions, this is essential to keep coordination. Do not attempt this by yourself, bad things could happen. Much more demanding than a cell-phone.
Don't worry about what people are thinking about you, you will not have time to care....
Old 05-31-2004, 09:12 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be very careful of WHERE you do this. Like not flying over houses or schools or....
Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 PM
beepee

Adam,

I just competed in a cross country event a week ago, so it is fresh in my mind. We traveled on three legs, each up to 30 miles long. Your 4 miles is not a problem, but you have to be set up right. We do it with a 4 man team. For your flight you would only need 3 (a navigator is likely not too important). We fly with a pilot and co-pilot/spotter sitting in the back of a pick-up truck facing forward. The aircraft is kept a good 50+ feet above the highest area obstruction. We find forward facing, with the plane above and in front of the truck, works best as looking at the back of the bird is more intuitive for control function and if for any reason the truck has to stop, the plane does not over fly our seated position. When a stop happens, we have plenty of time to make a turn and get into a new position.

Watch the mobile obstructions. Things you are used to being stationary, like trees, are mobile when you go cross country. May not make too much sense now, but it will when you get going. You can be flying in the clear and suddenly you can't see your plane. Not good when that happens.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 PM
adam_jorgensen

Wow. 30 mile legs. How long can you go on one tank? I can go max about 1/2 hour. I certainly couldn't go that far unless my plane was going downwind.

Well, I hope to pick a day with no winds because it would make it a hole lot easier. The biggest worry I have on the cross country is what you said and loosing it behind an obstruction but because I'll probably riding in either the back of a pick up or in a car (the seats are lower so visibly out the window is better as far as looking up goes), I'll be flying it in front so it shouldn't be a problem until we get to a stop sign but then I'll just circle around till its in front again. You can always keep up with your plane right unless the motor were to quit? And this will be taking place out in the country and there will be 3 of us, one driver, a navigator I guess but the driver already knows where he's going anyways, and of course, the pilot which is me. If I can do this cross country successfully, I will be extending them even further but how far would you go in a trainer?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Tall Paul

I have flown from inside a car, but it gets very "interesting" at stop signs, and when the plane must circle. A pickup bed is best.
I've done 50 miles on 11 ozs of fuel in one flight.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:50 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

adam, you plan to fly and drive yourself? That's gonna look good onthe police report
Old 06-01-2004, 06:31 AM
beepee

Adam,

I fly a 1/4 scale L4 Cub with a Quadra 42 in the nose. I run a 16 oz main tank and a 33 oz auxiliary tank in the cockpit. This fuel load gives me about 1 hours flight capability.

If your driver knows where he is going, a navigator is not necessary. A Co-Pilot/spotter is very helpful. He is needed to advise of trees/barns/radio towers along the course, approaching stops, turns, etc. He is also helpful for taking control while you are entering/exiting the truck bed.

One word of caution - when you get to the detination location (assuming it is an RC field), set yourself up for a landing from a proper flight stand. On one of our cross countries I have seen a guy try to land from the back of the pick-up and misjudge the runway location ... the tree was hardly damaged.

Bedford
Old 06-01-2004, 09:30 AM
KW_Counter

Keep in mind that many states/provinces require seat belts when riding in the back of a pickup.
It sounds like you've already planned your course. I assume it is all in the country on roads with little traffic.
Have you discussed it with the local police to make sure it is legal there?
Try to have in your mind all of the places along the way for an emergency landing.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
KW_Counter
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We use a convertable, 2 guys in back flying, one driving, one spotter. DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE AND FLY!

Thats gotta be one of the dumbest things I have heard yet.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:59 AM
TNRabbit

You might check with a AMA if you're a member and see if their insurance will cover you for this or if you need a waiver.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:33 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Won't the transmitter interfere with your ability to drink coffee, comb your hair, talk on the cell phone, read the newspaper, pick your nose and all the other things people do while they're driving?

papermache
Old 06-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Stick Jammer

I'm looking into taking the next step up in my flying skills and try flying my plane (sig LT-40) while following it in a car.
No offense and I'm not condemning anyone that wants to try this but I fail to see how this will benefit your flying skills. Moving up to a low wing aerobatic plane will improve your abilities much more than this type of stunt.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

I've wondered about the AMA insurance factor too. They sanctioned the Cross Country event, as well as a night fly event. I don't think they will sanction it if they don't intend to insure it. Will they sanction a cross country night fly in the snowy mountains while you are driving event? The AMA could put up a million dollars for the winner! Is this was advertised right, it would be the new R/C Survivor Series and the AMA could make billions. Just a thought... P.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:39 AM
B.Matt

What happens when you go under a bridge?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Grampaw

Plan a route with landing areas easily accessable from the road, and get permission from landowners. Choose a route that will have you flying your plane with the sun at your back. Wear a face shield or goggles to keep from getting a bug or something else in your eyes. As in full size aviation, before taking off, use the facilities, and for God's sake, stay away from tunnels!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:36 PM
TNRabbit

...a METAL bridge....?? What about high-power electric lines?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Oddly, power lines, radio towers, or metal buildings do not affect radio signals as I've done the cross country rally three times. Just fly high enough that any obstructions are not a factor. Try to keep the plane above and in front of the vehicle and have your co-pilot warn you of the drivers intention. Do not let the plane wander to the sides of the vehicle as tree lines can lose your visibility of the plane!