Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exhaust extension for Saito

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exhaust extension for Saito

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:25 PM
mcfly1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust extension for Saito

I have a Saito 80. Due to the mounting constraints, I need a muffler extension. Two of the readily available rubber types have failed from burn through. Another fell off in flight. Does anyone know of a brand that will work with the heat and exhaust temp from a four stroke engine? Thanks in advance.....

Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 08:44 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Exhaust extension for Saito

I use the silicon type and they hold up to the heat, getting them to stay on is the trick.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:57 PM
The Ghost

mcfly1950
You could use the r/h flex muffler for the Saito 300 twin P/N SAI 300t 74B

Cheers
Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Stick Jammer

I have also had problems with the silicone extensions melting on a Saito .72, I ended up welding a piece of aluminum tubing on to mine.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Phoenix57

If you are talking about extending the muffler farther away from the engine you can buy the muffler stock aluminum extension in 6 inch bars. You can then cut to the length you need. you will need to drill the bolt holes and instead of gaskets I use automotive exhaust manifold gasket sealer. I did this for my SAITO 1.00 on a Corsair and it's working just fine. Good luck!!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Stick Jammer

Any Saito I've ever seen uses a threaded pipe nipple between the engine and the muffler. You can use a longer nipple to get the muffler farther from the engine but I think mcfly1950 was referring to an extension from the muffler.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:20 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are speaking of a exhaust tip extension-I use the hobbico-I light sand the end of the muffler tip with 220 grit and use a small piece of tape around the muffler tip with a 1/4 inch or so exposed than I put me a small line of jb weld (bought at any auto parts store) and let it dry over nite-remove the tape install the extension and use small plastic tie wraps-they do not fall off anymore-also on the hobbico extension I have found to cut the tip at the end at a angle to keep the wrapping noise out of the exhaust when the valves open and close at certain speeds the tip wants to flatten out if not cut-this is the way I have found that works for me
Old 06-12-2004, 09:31 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I use a straight piece of aluminum tubing in place of the stock muffler on my Saito 150. It is held on to the stock header with a hose clamp. It sounds good and if it falls off, replacements are cheap.

Tom