Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Change to Synthetic Fuel

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Change to Synthetic Fuel

Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 PM
CougarRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change to Synthetic Fuel

Hi i have always used duraglo 5% which is a castor based fuel but i have decided to turn to fully synthetic fuel for cooler running and less mess i have just purchased 3 gallons of Model technics Fourmula irvine Sport 5% which contains 18% klots question is i heard you have to be more careful about running lean so should i richen it up a bit before starting with the first tank?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Change to Synthetic Fuel

Crank it up and run it through its full range.Adjust the needle as needed.

If it's a little lean, you won't hurt it by running it for the few seconds that it takes you to adjust it.

If it's too lean, it will just quit. if it does, open the needle and try again.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have always run my engines a little rich. I would also recommend that you not run your engine dry. The duel will evaporate and leave the oil to keep things lubricated.
I know many people will say not to do this, but I have done it for the first two years I flew glow engines and never had a problem. (ST and YS engines)
Old 06-19-2004, 07:27 AM
CougarRules

Okay cheers guys, i had always took the fuel tube off the carb and tried to start the engine until it wouldn't before because i thought it was better for the engine but your theory definately makes sense geistware.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:30 PM
jessiej

You can get as many differing opinions on this as you want Search for a thread in Glow engines about Castor oil-a final word.

jess
Old 06-20-2004, 04:46 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why don't use the French Motul "Micro" all synthetic oil??! This is a special glowengine oil made by the French racing-oil company MOTUL!
I have used it now for 3 years (been into R/C for 30 years)and it is certainly much better than castor oil!
As an active pylonracing flyer for 25 years I know that castor oil can stand higher tempertures than all brands of synthetic oil ...but this Motul "Micro" oil is certainly proving that some synthetic oil manufacturers know their thing....
Over here in Sweden it is very common to use 15% all synthetic oil...Most common brands are Aerosynth 2 and Aerosave made by the German company FUCHS.I prefere the French Motul "Micro" oil !
20% castor oil is something that belongs to the past....

Most flyers over here mix their own fuel and that way you can easily get the fuelmix you want.
I use 15% oil, 5% nitro and the rest Methanol.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 06-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Highflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off always use 20% percent oil in your fuel. I like a 50/50 mix of castor/synthetic. If you must, a 2% castor/18%synthetic will do, but i would never run all synthetic it cannot stand up to the temperatures that castor oil can and will not protect your engine if it runs lean.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

here in the UK we have Weston UK fuels, thankfully, because this stuff about castor being able to run hotter is now untrue.
the oils in Prosynth and Liquid gold run 30 degress hotter than castor can by which time castor is a brown sticky engine gumming crud, the weston stuff is a mix, one oil burns off taking the heat, the other doesnt and lightly covers the plane, as long as you see this covering you know the oils doing it's job.
my engines run cooler, faster and show no sings of wear and NO BROWN CRUD!
apparently prosynth can also be used on 4 strokes, no more carrying round two bottles.

Liquid gold has slightly more oil and might be a better first intro to synth fuels ( like they are hard ) Prosynth makes hardly any smoke, but i still run rich so i have perfect mixture for when i;m chucking about or hovering.

irvine sport is ok, it's used here, but as synths go its a messy one.

it's still possible to run lean and do damage, but it's not hard to tune an engine propperly, a tip do it nose high, that way you wont run lean in the air.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:42 AM
pt19 flyer

hi

I'm a believer in castor as a lubricant. 18% synthetic I think is a little low. If you get an untentional lean run castor will give you a little more protection on engine damage. also I think at least 20% or better 22% lubricant is added insurance, so I would add enough castor to bring the % in that range. messy fuselage is small price to pay. I currently use a 50/50 mix. I like to see castor on plane..know engine has lubrication. also engine runs a little cooler, castor carries away some of the heat, at least in theory.

happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 06-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Cactus.

i have nice unburnt clean oil on my plane at the end of a run ( the other oil that is burnt is the one that does the heat dissipation ), i can touch the heads of engines during and with some engines right after a run. i have clean engines that give more power than any of the castor runners, i also have no carb problems. tuning isn't a problem and infact easier.
after a winter left in the shed i can fuel up and start first flick, i kid you not, even engines kept in a box for over a year go with no fuss.

now this is only using the Weston fuels, I've not used others, but if you like high % figures let me scare you castor lovers, my Prosynth has about 16% oil, Liquid Gold ( the fuel for tuning idiots ) 18%

now something else about other fuels, they do % by weight, so you get less nitro than you think, also for every 1% of oil you have you lose the equivalent power of 1% nitro..

Castor is good for old engines that were made for it, and for MDS's which need the gunk to hide the carb leaks, but times have changed my gummy old friends, run some synth through your engine and notice the difference after a few runs, it'll even clean the insides up for you at the same time and bring the engine back to life. no more brown sticky engines and planes.

what really gets my goat is the company that still lags behind and if you use synths they wont stand by their warranty, oh yes, they use a synth fuel for reviewing the engines to give them the best stats.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:16 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phillybaby,
"what really gets my goat " is that we can't get it here in the USA. I'd like to try it. Oh well.

John
Old 06-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Cactus.

ahh but you can as far as i know... same place that sells Cougars and Hypes and Magnums etc etc...

Modelbual sommit...
Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Philly you had me really looking. Closest I could find was www.modellbau-usa.com Modellbau USA web site. NO FUEL. Ah well - I'm only paying $14.95 a gallon for Morgan Omega 15% so I guess I shouldn't complain.

John
Old 06-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Cactus.

thats them, i can never rememeber that name. if anywhere was gonna sell it thats about as good as it gets.

i think the US heli guys use stuff called Cool Power, now if any engine is gonna moan about poor lubication it'll be a heli engine.