Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

dirt in carb

Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt in carb

About 2 weeks ago my plane went into the ground. When i went to get it there was some grass and dirt in the carb. i took out the grass, but the dirt fell in. Any tips on cleaning it out? Or does it not matter (which I am douting.) It is an OS .46 Max AS
Old 06-18-2004, 04:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: dirt in carb

Hold it upside down with the crankshaft inlet open and flush with a few squirts of fuel.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:05 PM
voyager_663rd

Try NOT to rotate the prop (if there IS dirt inside, it could get between the parts and start grinding away).

Unscrew the backplate, remove it (watch out for the gasket, its fragile) and the gasket.

Get your hot water tap running and get it as hot as you can. Then let the water flow through the open carb through the engine out the back. Gently rotate the prop so the piston allows free water flow through the engine.

Don't worry about water in the engine. The castor in your fuel will protect all surfaces. Then you can take your heat gun (or even a hair dryer) and dry all the surfaces (in and out) that you can see.

Put the back plate/gasket back on (carefully) and retighten the bolts (in an X pattern--just like you alternately tighten wheel bolts on your car tires). Put the now complete engine back on your plane, fuel up and go fly.

No problemo. Happens to me quite often and never a problem after this type of cleaning.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:13 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

I'll fly as soon as the repairs are done
Old 06-19-2004, 12:38 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Flying off a dirt runway can lead to problems whether or not you stick it in nose first. I use Bruline carb air filters whenever possible. Of course I also use muffler extensions. Both of these items will rob you of a few RPM's but you will be flying the engine for a long time. I never rotate an engine after a crash until it has been taken apart and cleaned. Voyager has suggested a good method of cleaning. I usually use a coffee can and fuel. Sounds costly but it's cheaper than a ruined engine.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I would be really careful cleaning an engine with water. I think it is much better to use the fuel even though it is more expensive. In the long run, less risk. I follow that same method like voyage for cleaning the engine but I use fuel instead.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:45 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with MinnFlyer , I wouldn't turn the engine over until it was flushed. If I ever get
anything in the intake I put a little fuel in a fuel squeeze bulb and flush it out with a little presure.
Remove the backplate if you have to but don't run the engine until it's cleaned thouroughly.

tommy s