Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

paint match

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:28 PM
dogfight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint match

I'm looking to match the color of the dark blue solartex covering for a cowl. The color is virtually the same as the color blue on the old Pica 1/5 scale Waco kit. Anyone know of a spray paint or ?? THANKS to all ideas.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Hurri

Default RE: paint match

I go to Home Depot , if you take the color you want , they have a special matching gadget that will analize your color & reproduce it . Don't neccessarily take the 1st mix they show you , if not happy they will do another .
Old 06-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home Depot or any paint store can match latex to a sample you provide. It runs about $10 a quart.

I usually add 1 - 1 1/2 caps of Flotrol per quart of latex. It slows the drying time so the brush marks level themselves out. I suggest using a foam brush if you are going to brush it on.

You will need to clear coat the latex, especially if you are using glow fuel. I have had excellent results with MinWax Polycrylic and Ultracote clear. The Polycrylic is a water base and does not yellow on white. It is resistant to 10% (maybe more) nitro.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a piece of the covering on a piece of balsa, take it to the auto store and have them mix some and put it in a rattle can. I pay $10 for a can and the match has always been perfect. Never gone wrong doing it that way.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:11 PM
dogfight

Thanks to all. I'm using gas. Also when you say go to an auto store to match the paint do you mean auto part store? Sorry if ? was stupid. THANKS again.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Campy

I just realized you are from California.

Make sure of the TYPE of paint you are getting. From what I have been told, California has banned lacquers, acrylic lacquer and acrylic enamel and many other types of paint that have an oil base.

To be fuel proof, you need an acrylic lacquer or you will need to use the base coat/clear coat paint. If the auto paint you want/need is unavailable/banned, keep the latex in mind.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
dogfight

Found Rustoleum (painters touch) deep blue spray can that was such a great match I patched a hole with a different color fabric and used this paint over the fabric. Virtually undetectable color difference. Unbelievably lucky.
Just trying to keep this Waco in a nice flying condition(maiden flight in mid eighties) A big thanks to all
Old 06-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Campy

Make sure you clear coat it, not all of the Rustoleum paints are fuel proof.