Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is selling for profit "disgraceful" or "dishonest?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is selling for profit "disgraceful" or "dishonest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is selling for profit "disgraceful" or "dishonest?

Here's a good one for you. I just sold a Nosen Citabria in the classifieds that I bought on another internet auction site. I bought the whole plane for $612.22 at auction. The seller would not crate it (I knew this in advance) so I bought the plane for salvage value - it is equipped with a new OS240T Twin cyl with onboard ignition and onboard electric starter. Well, shipping turned out to be even worse than expected since he built the 105" wing in one piece (I had thought to have the wing & tailfeathers shipped to me). Well, no prob - the engine set-up was worth more than I paid for the whole thing so if nothing else I could have the guy take a hammer to the brand new plane & send me the "goodies" off of it. I really hated to do that SO I listed the plane for local pick-up in the RCU classifieds with 3 different options - finished wood kit only for $100, plane with glass cowl, pants, wheels & 8 3004 servos for $200 or the whole ball of wax for $1200. The ad clearly stated that I had just purchased this on another auction site. I notified the guy I bought it from that I had listed it here and got permission from him so that I could attempt to at least get the plane to a new home in his area. I quickly got a buyer for the $200 option and immediatly notified the guy I got it from to let him know what and for how much I had sold.
NOW some bozo (bigbrother) posts to the RCU classified add that he knew how much I paid for the "whole ball of wax), I'm a disgrace to R/Cers and dishonest for selling at a profit. Waddya think? Note that bigbrother is from the same area as the original seller and he joined RCU on july 6th. The original seller told me there was a local guy interested by backed out when I offered to sell the airframe only to him.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:49 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Is selling for profit "disgraceful" or "dishonest?

I don't see a problem. You sell for a price you want and people pay the price they want.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:49 PM
photoniq

i don't see what's wrong with what you were doing. Something is only worth as much as people are willing to pay.

If it had been a trainer I would have said dont do it - you might be pulling the wool over someones eyes who doesnt know better. However only experienced RC'ers would be going for this plane so if they think its worth your advertising price who are you to stop them?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:50 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Selling for profit or loss is called CAPITALISM and is ok in my book. Something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it. Free markets dictate. Your a fine modeler whether you sell for gain, loss or breakeven. Nobody said you have to be a charity.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You did just fine. Tell him to go to $%#@. You can sell for as much a profit as you want. As long as the buyer is happy, noone has to know what you have in it. Thats what makes the game fun. I buy and sell all the time. If someone told me I was a crook for making a few bucks on a plane I sold, I think I would feed them the plane!

They are just jellious that they didn't do it first.

Do what your doing. Your fine.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:42 PM
britbrat

I'm amazed by the question -- I hope that you are spoofing us. The whole world economy works on selling for profit.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Basically you were acting as a broker - finding a seller for someone else's asset and taking a cut...without ever taking possesion of the asset yourself... nothing wrong with that - it is a principal the US was built on. That is why there are rich people and not-so-rich. You took INITIATIVE. I don't think it was inappropriate at all. The other guy was a $#$& hole for getting involved. What business is it of his to ruin your transaction???

There are examples of inappropriate capitalism though - when people profit from other's loss. I recently read that reporters who were invited to the recent funeral service of Ronald Reagan were given programs of the service, but some took more than one, and then gave them to relatives and friends. The scum bags then took all the programs and are selling them on Ebay for $500 + I have no respect for reporters to begin with, but this is a new low. In my opinion, if one is invited to a presidential burial, you keep what is given to you as an honor - especially someone like Reagan.

Reporters - Let them all move to France.

DP
Old 07-07-2004, 04:20 PM
us1hydro

I wish I was kidding! the closed ad # is Item No: 39482 I don't think I'm breaking any rules since the ad is closed so here's a direct link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=39482

I have invited bigbrother to join in here to submit his viewpoint and dared him to find anything dishonest in my transactions.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:43 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy and sell on all the sites for a profit on a regular basis. Thats how I support my hobby. I don't see anything wrong with it. It keeps me flying.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Dzlstunter

Some of my friends consider me a "lefty liberal," but I see nothing at all wrong about selling at a profit--or a loss, if that is what you want to do and the buyer agrees to the terms. You didn't misrepresent the product in any way, and cash price is the great engine which establishes the value of something and makes our economic system work. (Yes, most of us "fuzzy-thinking" liberals actually do believe in capitalism. ) Ignore the sour grapes. Dzl
Old 07-08-2004, 07:32 AM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

You're cool, there's no problem with what you did. Back during my electric car days I bought a radio, charger, and pan car chassis from a kid in CA for $25. Sold the radio as-is for $50, the chassis for $60, and used the charger until I sold it all later. Because of that deal, and selling my whole setup on eBay, I about broke even on my electric car experience. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying a few things a guy at the field was selling the other day... could've turned those around on eBay.

-Jeff
Old 07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
ekrcflyer

I don't get it!!! When "big guys" produce and/or buy stuff in Asia for a buck and sell it in US for $10 or more - it's ok, it's "business", but when us1hydro does same thing - it is wrong???? what happened to the "free market"????

us1hydro, you are 100% OK with what you did. Don't worry and go fly a plane!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:31 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About the only thing I wouldn't have done was to get into it with him. Not worth your time and makes you look bad. Everyone read his post for what it was. Don't waste your time flippin it back at him. Doesn't do you any good.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If selling for a profit were wrong, none of us would have homes to live in, clothes to wear, or food to eat. (Not to mention models to build)
Old 07-08-2004, 02:34 PM
bigchap

i gave up my job a while back and all i do now is buy r.c. aircraft and parts to make a living,there is nothing at all wrong with it,in fact it gives me a big buzz to make a good profit on the stuff i sell,after all,i am not doing anything that anybody else can't do given the money,inclination and drive.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Putz Brother

If you had sold it for a loss, would he have told you how sorry he was for you? Maybe sent you the difference because he felt so bad. I don't think so. If somebody where to give me something that he thought I could use and then I sold it to make money, that would be a different story. Does this guy live under a rock? It's the American way. People do it all the time with cars etc.. Why does he think auto auctions exist? Move on your OK. At gas prices these days, that's my ten cents worth. Randy
Old 07-08-2004, 07:50 PM
bullseye000

Good for you. That's the name of the game. Could "bigbrother" be the same fellow you bought the plane from? Maybe he's pissed that he didn't get that money for it.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:19 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Wouldn't worry about it. You got one over on this guy and he is p***** off. Take your profit and move on. Anyone that has bought and sold rc stuff, has paid WAY too much on something, or lost money, or sometimes even got a break on something. It all comes around in time. You can bet though that unless you do this stuff for a living, you probably will lose money in this hobby. BIG money pit. I don't know about the rest of you, but I try not to worry about it too much. As long as it's fun. And when I can make a little something extra, I will. You should too.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:00 AM
britbrat

If someone had given the stuff to you, do you think that you should also be required to give it away? I don't think so!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:23 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I dont see anything wrong either but If I was the original seller I would charge you a handling fee for having to be at a place at a time to meet further buyers. (aint capatalism great)
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Nothing wrong with it. Isn't that why we all sell things? I sell hotwheels etc on ebay, to support this hobby. One example, I bought a Corgi 267 Batmobile about 2 years ago for $250. I sold it on ebay last month for $550. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so. Unfortunately most of the time my profit is nowhere near that much. Usually between $5 & $30.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:02 PM
us1hydro

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Aparently bigbrother got the message since he hasn't seen fit to put his version in here.

FLYBOY is right - It shouldn't turn into a psing contest in the classifieds. That's why I moved it here - I could "feel" that it was getting out of control. By putting it up for discussion here everybody had the opportunity to put in there 2 cents worth.

BULLSEYE000 - It could be the original seller but I don't think so. He's been very co operative and friendly throughout the transaction and offered no resistance at all to disassembling the new plane, giving me time to find a local buyer for the airframe etc. I think it's far more likely that it was the local that was interested in buying the plane for what I paid for it and/or the 2nd highest bidder from the auction (maybe the same person).

As for the rest - obviously I agree.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

The individual who is upset with you making a profit is just upset that he missed out on such an incredible opportunity to purchase an item at a great price and make some money off of it to fund your hobby.

Wheeling and dealing is the only way I can afford this hobby right now.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:30 PM
bigbrother

Yeah, us1hydro, I finally got your message forwarded to me from rcuniverse as the ad is no longer there. And all I got to say is that you and your supporters have way too much time on your hands. You spend way too much time justifying yourself on message boards or chat rooms or what ever you boys call it. JUST TO CLARIFY, I DON’T THINK SELLING THINGS FOR PROFIT IS WRONG, IF THAT IS WHAT BUSINESS YOU ARE IN. HOWEVER, I DON’T THINK YOU OWN A HOBBY SHOP OR AN INTERNET SHOP. All I know is that I am in this hobby because I love the hobby and am not in this hobby to make a profit!!! AGAIN, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN GETTING A GREAT DEAL ON A PLANE OR ENGINE, ETC. And -you are right- in that if had I got a deal like you did I would have been EXTREMELY happy to take advantage of it…..BUT not to sell and make a profit, but rather would have been out already flying that plane….. and not here trying to justify my actions to the world as you seem to think is necessary!! So now I let all that be as it may, and I will go on with my beliefs and you go on doing whatever it is you do ??? for this hobby. And I hope that are paths never have to cross again, because frankly I couldn’t stand to listen to all your clichés ( honestly, if …Do I want cheese with that wine… is the best you got) LOL LMAO. By the way to all your supporters who throw around the term “That’s the American Way” you should all go to France because that’s where everyone takes and takes and takes and then in return they stick it in your @!%!!! kind of like you guys seem to think…..but that is NOT the American Way!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Classy guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.