Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

trike to tail dragger

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

trike to tail dragger

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Emissions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trike to tail dragger

I am converting a trike plane to be a tail dragger. Where should I place the main gear? Right on the center of gravity? forward of the center of gravity? or does it have to do with the front of the wing?
Old 07-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default TAIL DRAGGER

All my planes are dragger's, and to look , they have the axel's just under the LE of the wing. You want your CG behind the gear so it will settle in a landing.Look at the gear on my extra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17935_4849.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	11501  
Old 07-17-2002, 06:13 AM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Gear Placement

The axles have to be ahead of the CG. Most are set up so the axle is very close to the front of the wing. Some are a little further forward, like on an extra. Using a pre-formed metal or composite gear mounted to the fuselage right in front of the wing works great for transporting the fuselage because it will sit on all the wheels. If you build the wheels into the wing, it makes transporting the airplane a little harder becuase now the fuselage wants to tip over all the time and the wheel on the wing allow them to slide all around...
Old 07-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Mike James

Default Funny you should mention it...

I've just converted my kit-bashed Ultra Sport .40 to taildragger, to save a little weight. I cut a slot in the fuselage bottom, just in front of the wing, and installed a simple grooved hardwood block. I also installed some hardwood torque blocks on the inside (tank compartment) to support some simple wire gear. Ta da!

Details on the other changes I made are at http://www.nextcraft.com/us40bash.html

Here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17992_2519.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	11502