Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sealing wing and fuselage

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sealing wing and fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing wing and fuselage

I have been using standard stick on weather stip to seal the gap between the wing and the fuselage. It never stays in place and is a pain, has anyone else used any thing else? (Especially when the gap is slightly uneven)

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 07-13-2004, 11:11 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sealing wing and fuselage

I used to use silicone. Don't use anything now. Just let the wing sit on the balsa saddle. Makes life much easier.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Goldwing-RCU

How do you use silicon? And what type of silicon? I'm assuming you mean like gasket silicon???
Old 07-13-2004, 12:28 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I'll second the silicone method. Works great, makes a good seal, and a cushion on teh wing saddle.

1 Clean the saddle where teh silicone sealant wil go. Tighten up any covering, wood, etc... (Make it so the silicone will stick!)

2 cut a piece of wax paper that fits the wing, and is slightly lardger / wider than the fuse. This wax paper (or Saran wrap I've heard also works) is a layer between the wing and fuse, so teh silicone will stick to the fuse, not teh wing. Make sure you put the waxy side up!

3 tape teh wax paper in place, Make sure it is wrinkle free, and is secure.

4 Test fit the wing, and practice putting it on in one easy smooth motion. A cradle helps, as wel as having eth tools and bolts very close by. Tape up any servo leads & such so you don't get them 'glued' in place!

5 Squeeze out a generous bead of silicone along teh wing saddles. I use teh clear 'bathroom' silicone in the small tube. No need to mess around with caulking and a caulking gun..

6 Mount wing. secure in place.

7 Inspect the seams. Some silicone will 'squeeze out' when the wing is mounted. Or, you might need to add a bit more. Wipe it up, and ensure a nice 'fillet' is left. Like what you would do around the bathtub, sink, etc..!

8 Let cure, usually 24 hrs. remove wing, and peel off teh wax paper. Be careful as you peel. Some paper might stick to the silicone, but dont worry, unless you are a stickler for looks!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:31 PM
bigchap

why all the hard work?why don't you use the cushioned tape made for the job?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:38 PM
dr_wogz

I've found the tape eventuall fouls, and pulls off (as does teh silicone but the silicone does last longer), and won't absorb exhaust oils..
Old 07-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz

I'll second the silicone method. Works great, makes a good seal, and a cushion on teh wing saddle.

1 Clean the saddle where teh silicone sealant wil go. Tighten up any covering, wood, etc... (Make it so the silicone will stick!)

2 cut a piece of wax paper that fits the wing, and is slightly lardger / wider than the fuse. This wax paper (or Saran wrap I've heard also works) is a layer between the wing and fuse, so teh silicone will stick to the fuse, not teh wing. Make sure you put the waxy side up!

3 tape teh wax paper in place, Make sure it is wrinkle free, and is secure.

4 Test fit the wing, and practice putting it on in one easy smooth motion. A cradle helps, as wel as having eth tools and bolts very close by. Tape up any servo leads & such so you don't get them 'glued' in place!

5 Squeeze out a generous bead of silicone along teh wing saddles. I use teh clear 'bathroom' silicone in the small tube. No need to mess around with caulking and a caulking gun..

6 Mount wing. secure in place.

7 Inspect the seams. Some silicone will 'squeeze out' when the wing is mounted. Or, you might need to add a bit more. Wipe it up, and ensure a nice 'fillet' is left. Like what you would do around the bathtub, sink, etc..!

8 Let cure, usually 24 hrs. remove wing, and peel off teh wax paper. Be careful as you peel. Some paper might stick to the silicone, but dont worry, unless you are a stickler for looks!
I use this method with good results but with one slight difference....instead of making a fillet as dr_wogz describes, let the silicone cure as is. Remove the wing and use a single edge razor blade dipped in water to trim the excess silicone off. Makes a nice clean cut. Also, I will CA a couple 1/8" long sections of toothpick to the top center of the saddle to give the wing something to rest on. When the silicone cures, pick the toothpicks out with a knife. The toothpics will ensure that the silicone wont squeeze down to a micro thin layer.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:19 AM
bigchap

i don't understand!why make the simplest job in the world into the most complicated?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigchap

i don't understand!why make the simplest job in the world into the most complicated?
bigchap,

No need to understand....do what you like to do. The silicone method makes a neater installation, is fuel proof, wont come off (unless installed incorrectly), and frankly, just looks a deal better than a piece of weatherstripping stuck to the wing saddle. And, it isnt that difficult or time consuming.....15 min to prep and silicone, overnight drying time, and 10 min. to trim up excess.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Stew99

I gave up on wing tape years ago. On most anything but a trainer it is too thick to allow the wing to fit properly in the saddle and I have yet to find a tape that is fuel proof. The stuff starts to come loose after only a few flights.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:55 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

I use dr_Wogz silicone method, except I use epoxy mixed with baby powder (for thickener).

I then attach covering over it.

It mates perfectly, is structurally rigid and does not come off.

I haven't measured how much weight this adds, but with enough baby powder, I don't think it adds much weight.

BigChap, if you can't tell the difference, then the cushioned tape saves a lot of headache.

For me, I never liked it that the foam on the cushioned tape would absorb oily residue from my exhaust, and eventually the tape would no longer adhere well to the wing saddle. Eventually, the oil would creep inside the plane and then there would be a lot more to clean up.

Making it "a most complicated job" is for my own peace of mind. I'm not entering any scale competions, but I think it looks better, and I also feel that it functions better as well.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM
dr_wogz

I would feel that the epoxy would be too 'hard'. the slilicone is rubbery, so it would act a bit like a rubber bushing / vibration mount for the wing..

But on second thought, we mostly just rest the wing on the wing saddle anyways; which is usually a hard wood anyways!

I like the fillet, as it gives more 'surface area' to teh wing when mounted..