Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4 Stroke Prop Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4 Stroke Prop Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:33 PM
wilinfla
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Stroke Prop Mounting

I have a magnum 4stroke 80, this is my first 4 stroke and I am curious about prop mounting. It came with the standard washer and it also has 2 nuts, I assume the outer one is a lock nut to prevent the prop from being thrown. I am using a Higley spinner nut, do I use both the nuts that came with the engine and just put the spinner on the end? It looks a little odd with the gap that creates from the spinner nut to the prop, but if it's needed then that's what I'll do. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:18 AM
illusion
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 4 Stroke Prop Mounting

Put the 2 nuts that came with your motor in your box of bits and pieces and just put the spinner nut [ not familiar with that brand but it's solid right?] directly on the shaft butting up with the prop,tighten securely and your away.Did you balance your prop? 4 strokes especially dont like unbalanced props.Happy flying.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:22 AM
J_R

I agree with illusion, with one exception. Use the two nuts without the Higley nut for break in. Since this is your first 4 stroke, you may tune it to lean and cause a back fire that can throw the prop. The two nuts help prevent this. By the time the break in is done, you should know where to tune it, and the Higley nut should be fine.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 AM
wilinfla

Thanks for the advice, how about the washer, can I leave that off as well? The center of the washer is larger than the shaft size to accomodate the two shaft nuts. I do this on my 2 strokes and it seems to work fine. I used the two locking nuts for break in and they worked fine.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 PM
illusion
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry about that , you dont need the washer when using the Higley prop nut,just do it up super tight.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:38 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higley makes nuts that go on before the spinner nut. These act as prop nuts and the spinner nut will be the lock nut.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:51 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

NEVER run a 4 stroke with out a double nut (Jam Nut) set-up. You can have a prop kick off durring a start up, durring flight if it gets lean for some reason (like running out of fuel) and can cause the prop to kick loose and over rev the engine, or for several other reasons. Those Higley spinner nuts are really for two strokes and replace the washer and nut. [8D]
Old 07-17-2004, 09:25 PM
wilinfla

Thanks for the input guys, seems like a real difference of opinion. Mike, how about if I use the washer and the first nut and then use the spinner as the lock nut for that? Using both nuts really sticks the spinner out there. Thanks for the help.

Will
Old 07-17-2004, 11:21 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

As Mike said......ALWAYS run 2 nuts on those props(4strokes). I.E> prop-nut/jam-nut. Now.......IF using the factory propnut/jamnut combo...ALWAYS use the provided washer that the propnut usually seats into..then install the provided stock jam nut.

As some have mentioned...Higley's does make a nice flat prop nut that works well with the "spinner-nuts" they sell... On 2strokes you don't need that flat nut...on 4strokes...definately run that nut, then your spinner on top of that makes a nice sporty looking set-up that is legal. I've had some with that set-up, and some with aluminum-spinners...and then some plastic spinners..... The plastic spinners don't ever last to long on a 4stroke though..... It's hard to say what be the safest either.. I had plastic spinner just bust up starting a .91.. I try to stay away from plastic spinners and 4strokes. Run 2nuts/washer or FlatNut/SpinnerNut.