Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What grit sandpaper for final sand?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What grit sandpaper for final sand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What grit sandpaper for final sand?

I did a search and came up with nothing. In prepping my plane for covering (ultracote), what grit sand paper do you guys use? I used to use 200-grit then end with 400 to make it super smooth, but then the lhs guy said to finish with 150 grit, as it allows the covering to adhere better. So what's best?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:14 PM
ksechler

Default RE: What grit sandpaper for final sand?

You should go up to 400 grit. 150 is not smooth enough and will not make the covering stick better. Just remember to wipe the plan with a tack cloth before covering. That'll remove the wood dust and give you a better finish.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:05 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The open-coat paper (400 or 600) can put a glass-like finish on balsa with some effort; provided the surface has been prepped with 150, then 220, first. The wet-or-dry (black) paper will clog up fairly quickly. Get the open-coat, the finer grades are usually gray in color.

I had to special-order my stash of 400; couldn't find it anywhere around here.

You should at least go down to 220. As noted by ksechler, 150 will leave a somewhat rough surface that will show through and look pretty sad.

And no, the rougher surface does NOT make the covering stick better. I got a good chuckle out of that one...
Old 07-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Another vote for 400. I do most the work with 150 or 220 and then do a good pass over with 400.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Azcat59

I only go to 220 or so on balsa/ply before Monokoting (or painting). My reasoning is this: if you were to magnify a piece of balsa, all those little brown lines you see (grain), are actually little "canyons", and you can sand until your arm falls off, and you will get rid of some, and open others up. You should, however, make sure you get rid of anything that sticks up, like glue blobs or uneven seams, as it will sure show through the covering.

Since so many fellows have said they sand with 400 or so over the years, I finally thought maybe I was swimming upstream, so I sheeted a piece of 2x4 pine with 1/16" balsa, and I sanded half with 220, and the other half with 400. Covered with white Monokote, and darned if I could see any difference, so I quit at 220.

I know, with this great advice and some pocket change you can get a cup of coffee, but you might run the experiment yourselves and see if you agree.

Clair
Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Azcat, if you did the test and couldnt see the diff I think I will try 220 on my next plane and see. That would save a little more sanding (one of my least favorite parts of the kit).
Old 07-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: Gringo Volador

That would save a little more sanding (one of my least favorite parts of the kit).
Obviously, you're not drinking enough beer when your sanding!!!!