Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to get the glue off?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to get the glue off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 AM
qwazzy123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the glue off?

I was building my sig four star arf and got CA gap filling all over the wing covering. Is there a way to remove it. Can you some kind of debonder?

Thanks
Qwazzy
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: How to get the glue off?

Try acetone but be aware that it might remove some of the pigment from the covering so try it first in an inconspicuous spot. If you use acetone put some on a cotton swab or something similar and let it soak on the glue for a while. Remember, acetone is highly flammable so take care.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 AM
JimTrainor

CA debonder, or acetone will remove it if you are patient. Maybe put a small peice of paper towel over the spot and drip acetone on it. Acetone evaporates quickly so you will have to continue the process for a little while to give it a chance to work.

Be careful with both because they will also dissovle the glue on the back of the covering.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're in luck. Go to the hobby shop and pick up a bottle of CA debonder. it works wonders. It will take anything off of anything. Just dont leave the cap off the bottle, it will disapear rather quickly.

sean
Old 07-21-2004, 04:20 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Debonder is not the best way to remove Ca glue, rather bad actually and it is very expensive.
The best thing I have used is pure nitro...aceton works too but not as good as nitro.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Stick Jammer

Acetone works fine but as mentioned you'll need to use a piece of paper towel or something and let it soak on the area to be cleaned. It works the best if you clean it up right away, once the CA is cured it takes a little work. Acetone won't hurt the covering or remove any of the pigment as the color is under a layer of clear.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:01 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now, some people are saying to use acetone or nitro because it works better than debonder. Dosn't anyone realize that debonder is actually nitromethane and acetone??? Using straight acetone will work, but I have found debonder is a little quicker and easier. As far as using just nitro, I dont have access to raw nitro any where around me, so I have never given it a try.

sean
Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I know Debonder contains nitro! But pure nitro is better ..and more economical to use than debonder. Having used both Aceton and Nitro when removing Ca glue from both clothes and airplane plastic coverings...I can only say get Nitro..it is much better than Aceton for this...much quicker!!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 07-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Stick Jammer

I can only say get Nitro..it is much better than Aceton for this...much quicker!!
Hmm....my local gas station was out the last time I checked.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 PM
JimTrainor

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer
...snip...
Acetone won't hurt the covering or remove any of the pigment as the color is under a layer of clear.

... just be careful at the seams!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Stick Jammer

... just be careful at the seams!
Well, you definitely don't want to puddle the acetone on any seams. On the other hand, I've used a little acetone on a rag to clean up glue/color smears that sometimes happen when ironing the seams.