Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 PAINTING MONOKOTE >

PAINTING MONOKOTE

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PAINTING MONOKOTE

Old 07-21-2004, 11:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINTING MONOKOTE

Has anyone ever tried to paint monokote? If not,, how are all these fancy graphics being put on some of these planes?
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: PAINTING MONOKOTE

ORIGINAL: craigman

Has anyone ever tried to paint monokote? If not,, how are all these fancy graphics being put on some of these planes?
Thanks!
Yes, you can paint monokote. I usually scuff it with 0000 steel wool, prime it and then paint. The Corsair below is a Kyosho .40 size ARF with a fiberglass fuse and wing center section. The tail feathers and outer wing panels are built up and covered with monokote. The monokote color and the fuse color were nowhere near the same so I decided to do it right

You can also apply monokote over monokote. The Hanger9 Cessna below has black monokote with white and red ultrakote graphics applied on top. I got a little carried away with it so it is bit ugly [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] but it does show what you can do with the film covers. After cutting the pieces I sprayed Windex on the black, positioned the graphic and squeeged out all of the bubbles. I then let it sit overnight and applied a warm (NOT HOT) iron to activate the adhesive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82603.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	156048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13527.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	156049  
Old 07-22-2004, 03:54 PM

I've also painted some of the plastic film coverings, it's not hard, and bonedaddy41's description is right on.

However, you should also keep in mind that there are lots of other ways to finish a plane besides heat-shrink plastic. The really nice looking scale planes, with all the weathering, scale details, oil smudges, etc, are (almost) never covered that way. It's far more common to fiberglass the whole plane, then prime and paint the glass. There are a few other ways to finish and paint a plane as well.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:55 PM

I like the way Lustrekote (by Monokote/Tower hobbies) works and holds up to fuel and wear and tear. As mentioned by another reply you just have to make sure the film is free of oil and fuel and scuff it w/ a fine Scotchbrite pad or steel wool. No primer is needed as the paint actually seems to bond to the film covering, probably through the solvent acting on the plastic. Now, I have not tried light colored paint on a dark film so I'd suggest testing on some scrap film first. That may call for a very light coat of Lustrekote primer which is white. Primer should be used sparingly as it all adds up as extra weight. The paint should be dusted on VERY lightly for the first 2 coats allowing each to dry and then the color coats sprayed carefully as it builds up quickly against any taped edges. Another thing to be careful about is tape. Regular masking tape is so sticky that it can and will lift your covering right off the wood or separate a seam. I've tried painter's masking tape which is less sticky than regular masking tape and also painter' paper mask which is kraft paper with a light adhesive along one edge. Both work OK but there is probably better stuff out there. Make sure to cover everything on the plane from overspray as it is next to impossible remove. If you don't want a glossy finish they have flat clear, too. Lustrekote should be compatible with all the standard weight iron-on films on the market. Just my 2 cents worth, I'm by no means an expert, and I'll watch this thread for more tips....
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 PM

damifino is correct about the weight adding up pretty fast. That .40 size Kyosho Corsair weighed over eight pounds because of the Lustrekote paint job. [:@] You heard me right ... an eight pound .40 size plane. It flies fantastic but lands like a brick.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Hey BoneDaddy, where do you fly at? I've never heard of the Vultures RC Club and I fly at the field in Denton (North Texas Aeromodelers). Just wondering if I'm missing a field I could fly at.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: beardking

Hey BoneDaddy, where do you fly at? I've never heard of the Vultures RC Club and I fly at the field in Denton (North Texas Aeromodelers). Just wondering if I'm missing a field I could fly at.
Naw, you're not missing a field. The Vultures is a group of 8 that started flying together almost 2 years ago in an industrial area in Lewisville. 4 of us are NDRCC members, 1 is a member of your club, 1 a member of the MidCities club and the other 2 are not members anywhere. We just kinda go from field to field in the area ... hanging out on the fringes ... waiting ... watching ... like vultures We tend to fly at the Falcon's field in Lake Dallas more than anywhere else ... usually early on Sunday morning. It is central for most in our group ... I live about 2 minutes away None of us are Falcons ... but we follow their rules and get along with most of them. A few of us have tried to become members but they really enjoy their "Non-open Club" status. Oh well, we get to fly there for free and they maintain their field for us A few of us did come to your Fun Fly the past couple of years. If we are not at the Falcon's field you can find us at the NDRCC Eagle field .... or The MidCities' field ... or some industrial area [8D]

Edited 8/26/04 - Please do NOT assume that I am not a member of your club and call your officers whining about me flying at your field ... it could very well be my field too. Assumption is a terrible thing. If you have a problem with me, stand on your own two feet and contact me. It is obvious that you don't know me ... but do you know the other 499 members in "your" club? [>:]
Old 07-23-2004, 09:40 AM

Do you happen to work at the Hobby Town in Lewisville? Or does one of your Vultures? I remember being in the Hobby Town there and the guy that was working was telling me about flying somewhere in Lewisville over by the Main Event place on I-35 but I can't remember where he said and I've never seen anyone flying out there.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 AM

That is Eric. Yes, he is a Vulture. He is the manager at HobbyTown in Lewisville. Most of us started out learning to fly with Eric by Main Event (about a block East). We don't fly there much anymore due to businesses moving into those buildings. We have talked about going back there once a month or so "for old times sake". We used to show up there at 7:00am on Sunday mornings and stay until late afternoon .... rain or shine. And we always had fun learning to navigate the obstacles ... street signs, curbs, light poles, buildings, trees ... ahhhh, those were the days.

[link=http://rcfliers.net]rcfliers.net[/link]

[link=http://www.rcfliers.net/rcplane/flyingdays/relax.htm]RCFliers old photo gallery[/link]
Old 08-31-2004, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: beardking

Naw, you're not missing a field. The Vultures is a group of 8 that started flying together almost 2 years ago in an industrial area in Lewisville. 4 of us are NDRCC members, 1 is a member of your club, 1 a member of the MidCities club and the other 2 are not members anywhere. We just kinda go from field to field in the area ... hanging out on the fringes ... waiting ... watching ... like vultures We tend to fly at the Falcon's field in Lake Dallas more than anywhere else ... usually early on Sunday morning. It is central for most in our group ... I live about 2 minutes away None of us are Falcons ... but we follow their rules and get along with most of them. A few of us have tried to become members but they really enjoy their "Non-open Club" status. Oh well, we get to fly there for free and they maintain their field for us A few of us did come to your Fun Fly the past couple of years. If we are not at the Falcon's field you can find us at the NDRCC Eagle field .... or The MidCities' field ... or some industrial area [8D]

Edited 8/26/04 - Please do NOT assume that I am not a member of your club and call your officers whining about me flying at your field ... it could very well be my field too. Assumption is a terrible thing. If you have a problem with me, stand on your own two feet and contact me. It is obvious that you don't know me ... but do you know the other 499 members in "your" club? [>:]
I thought I should clarify my comments so people don't think I turned on beardking like a rabid dog. It seems that some members of a local club saw my reply to beardking and automatically "assumed" that I was flying at the NDRCC field without being a NDRCC member. They contacted one of the club officers and whined about me "bragging" about flying at the Eagle field without being a member. I wish that was all I had to worry about in life. You see ... the fact is .... I am a member of that club ... as well as others. First and foremost, I am a father and a Vulture. All others are secondary. As I said above, if you have a problem with something I say ... or if you want to make improper assumptions ... be an adult and contact me directly ... leave your club's officers alone ... and I will explain the facts to you.

If you don't like the fact that I say I'm a Vulture and I don't advertise your club's name, send me an email and I will explain why you are a jerk.

Now ... get a life and go fly.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 AM

Well now BoneDaddy, you have just pointed out the exact reason I didn't renew my membership at NDRCC. I got the distinct impression when I was there that they were kind of an elitist group and didn't like newbies all that much especially if you didn't fit into their "I fly $1000 planes that I just pulled out of the back of my BMW X5 that you could never afford" mold. Now, I could have just gotten off on a bad foot with them and if that's true then I apologize. But, I never got the welcome feeling I've gotten at other clubs, and even though it's the closest club to me (I live in The Colony), I'd still rather drive a further distance and not have to deal with that attitude.

But hey, that's just my opinions and we ALL know how much those matter in the real world (so if I offended you, go have a beer and ignore my opinions like most people do.)
Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 AM

Yep. I have seen that attitude but ... I have seen that attitude in every club to one extent or another .... and one of the Vultures does drive a 2004 BMW M3

But really, I have been treated very good out at the field ... and strangely enough ... the young guys with the $5000+ planes seem to be the nicest. The ones that seem to have a problem with anything are members of a group I would call "The Codgers" and they are nice to my face.

Honestly, the Vultures, the people I ride with and my family are the only ones that know me in person as Bonedaddy. So I have to accept the internet problem of people not knowing our "handles" in the real world. They just need to remember that I could be their neighbor [X(] ... and assumptions normally cause problems.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:59 AM

yep, internet anonimity really does play a big part in people saying and doing stupid things at times (done it myself, I'll admit).

BTW: I love your avatar. Nightmare before Christmas is one of my favorite movies. Not that you are interested or anything.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:01 AM

Thanks. My daughters started calling me Bonedaddy after they watched that movie