Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covers for servos mounted on wings...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covers for servos mounted on wings...

Old 07-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Don Presten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covers for servos mounted on wings...

I am looking at a 60 Stik - want to configure it with flaps which means 4 servos mounted on the underside of the wing. I seems to me that having those servos in the slipstream would mean that they we get dirty with dust and fuel. Does someone make a rounded plastic cover that can be screwed over the servo with an opening in the back for the control rod?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Covers for servos mounted on wings...

Don I made some out of an old pair of small wheel pants. They were not assembled so I took the front half of one and mounten it over the servo. The back was open but it still looked pretty good. The plane I had them on blew exhaust right on the AILE servo.

David
Old 07-24-2004, 09:54 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fix was to put small O ring on the servo arm, be sure its on the arm and doesn't contact the servo case when the arm is instaled. I used a small drop of thin ca to hold the O ring on the arm, Then slip a small piece of heat shrink tubing over the O ring long enough to go from the bottom of the servo arm to the servo case. Put the arm back on the servo and apply a touch of heat from a heat gun to snug things up slightly. Not too much or you will put an extra load on the servo. If done right there's no load on the servo and it's fuel, oil, dirt, gunk proof.

Darren
Old 07-24-2004, 10:10 PM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don,
Check out some of the glider kits or suppliers as they are used a lot there. Other wise you will have to mount the servos internal (wing center) and use a hatch.

Cheers,
Old 07-25-2004, 06:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just go to any store and look for items that are packaged on a piece of cardboard with a vacuum-formed clear plastic covering (You know the type. Almost everything is packaged that way nowadays)

Find something whose plastic cover is the size and shape you're looking for (Maybe a cheap toy that one of the kids will enjoy! You'll get your covers, and be a hero with the kids at the same time! )

Those plastic covers even have mounting flanges for mounting them to the cardboard!