Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wheel Pants

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:11 AM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Pants

Hi All I've built a few planes that had wheel pants..So far I never put them on..This plane I'm building now, would look grreat with them..Trouble is I don't know how to attach them!! I did buy a Sullivan 5/32 wheel pant bracket..Still haven't a clue..Was hoping the brackets came with some instrctions.. Any tips or suggestion will
be helpful

Thanks Dan
Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Pants

There are many different setups, and the best way will depend on what the MFG gave you to start with.

What kind of plane is it?

What type of Axle setup?

What do the instructions say about attachment?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:02 AM
DBono99

Hi Mike Here is the information you asked for..The plane is a 40 size Cloud Dancer, built from a short kit..The axles are 5/32".The instructions say to attach with glue,2-56 screws or tapped 4-40 screws.. Here is a pic of the plane..

Thanks Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86321.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	156758  
Old 07-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 basic ways to attach the SIG wheel pant brackets.

First, if the INSIDE of the pants do not have a plywood support/brace, cut one from 3/32" or 1/8" light ply and epoxy it to the INSIDE of the wheel pant ON THE SIDE THAT WILL BE AGAINST THE LANDING GEAR. When dry, drill your axle hole through BOTH SIDES of the wheel pant.

I usually intall the 4-40 bolt, nut, and washers before intalling the bracket.

Methods of attaching:

1. Bolt the brackets on. Slide a scrap piece of piano wire the same size of the axle through BOTH holes. Slide the bracket onto the music wire and mark for your holes and drill them. Then, thread the piano wire and the bracket into the wheel pant. If you use 2-56 bolts and nuts, make sure you use locktite on the nuts and trim any excess bolt off. If you decide to thread the bracket and use the 4-40 bolts, again, use locktite and trim any excess off.

2. Put a THIN coat of vasoline on the scrap piece of piano wire and thread the wire and bracket into the wheel pant and epoxy in place. The vasoline prevents the epoxy from sticking to the wire. Use a clip clothes pin with a piece of wax paper between it and the bracket to clamp/hold the bracket in place until the epoxy cures.

Sliding the scrap piece of music wire through BOTH sides of the wheel pant insures that the bracket will be properly positioned to the axle.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 PM
jettstarblue

I usually "accidentally" step on mine.[X(] But have two sets that I haven't.
Anyone need a couple pair? One blue, one red, both F/G.
I'll send 'em post paid, just PM with your address.
I was going to include them in one of my trivia giveaways, but I got so much stuff I found when moving, that I'm bulk processing a lot of it.
Seriously.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 AM
woodbutcher

Nice mods on the Cloud Dancer. I did similar on my Cloud Dancer 60.

I used the Sullivan wheel pant brackets. I attached the bracket to 1/8 " aircraft ply with hex drive round head wood srews. Sand the ply to fit the inside of the pant. Use same type of screws from the outside of the pant into the ply. I also CA'd the ply to the pant.

There were a few more steps in between with fitting and grinding screws etc. but you get the idea, I hope. This worked well. You get a good connection to the pant and you can torque down pretty well on the bracket but it will still move on a less than graceful landing.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to sandwich the pant and gear between two nuts (with washers). You should use Loctite on the nuts since they're the only thing holding the pant straight. The advantage of this system is that if the pants get hit, they will rotate instead of breaking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44021.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	157883