Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

mechanical mixer

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

mechanical mixer

Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Canard flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanical mixer

I have a plane called a crossbow (see picture under name) and it has a mechanical mixer for aileron/elevater. The mixer uses plastic ball links and I really don't trust that they will stay connected while it flies, which is why I have only tried to fly it once (It was greatly out of balance but survived). What I would like to know is;
Is there anything I can do to either make sure the links will stay attaced, or is there some other mixer I can use. Be aware, I have the MOST BASIC 4 channel radio (airtronics. Yes, Yes I now, they aren't the best but it came with my first plane and I can't afford a new one) and can't afford any new controllers so the mixer will have to be in the plane itself.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:34 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: mechanical mixer

If you can change the ball links go to the ones which have 2/56 screws through the center.(metal ones) used in cars I think. I think if you look around you may be able to get an electronic mixer. V tail mixer would work. I woulg go for the electronic mixer if you can.

Cheers.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Live Wire

On my V35 it takes a special tool to take them apart, I would not worry unless they are getting old and brittle. With out the tool you break them.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
JimTrainor

Use Sullivan ball links:

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/ContSysAccMainFrame.htm
Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Canard flyer

Thanks everybody.
Jim, I think the sullivan ball links will work perfectly, they look like they won't come off easily. Ghost, I have looked for electronic mixers but the only ones I have found won't work with my radio or won't fit.
RC Outlaw, I have tried to post the current links so you can see it is not hard for them to pop off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19921.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	157124  
Old 07-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Jim OHaver

I do not think the ball links you have will pop off. In general, I dislike them, precisely because they are so difficult to get off and on. I also dislike the friction they impart to any control system. In your installation (I saw the photo several msgs down-thread), I don't care for the installation of the nyrod housings, as they are not lined up correctly to the connection points on the mixer on the servo. This creates extra strain, servo drag, and increases battery drain, as well as imparts "stickiness" to the mixer itself as it moves. Other than an electronic mixer (can be had for about $20), you can also do away with the servo-mounted mixer entirely and use a sliding servo setup; I prefer sliding the servo because the connections to the rods are less finicky and the servo can be mounted anywhere you can mount a servo, they run friction free, and cost nothing. I use such a design all the time in V-tails and flying wings. You can find "how-tos" for sliding servos in many places on the web. One more thing: do not let peopel berate your Airtronics 4-ch radio. I have had 2 4-ch Vanguards for almost 20 years that have and continue to run flawlessly. Just because the old servo leads don't match to more modern radios is nothing of concern: make up some jumpers with Dean's Pins (3-pin) to go from Rx to Servo to mate up with with any servo you care to use. CHange the connectors on any old-style Airtronics servos you have to match, and you are compatible across the board, from any system to any system. Have fun. Jim
Old 07-25-2004, 09:21 PM
The Ghost

Canard flyer,

Ghost, I have looked for electronic mixers but the only ones I have found won't work with my radio or won't fit.
RC Outlaw,
As Jim said. Just make up some addapters and then you can use any types of servos. Attachet is a coppy of a clipping that I have been using for years. Just save or print it out. I would still go with the electronic type if you can. Good luck.

Cheers.

Name:	Ki19731.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	157265  
Old 07-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Canard flyer

Thanks again for your help.
I checked with tower hobbies and they have the great planes elevon mixer for the slinger arf. Is that the type of mixer you mean.
I checked out the sliding servo concept and it looks great but how would I make sure that it moved smoothly? Also, althought there is room, it looks like it would require quite a bit of modification to remove the fixed servo tray to place a sliding tray.
How does the electronic mixer work? I can see how both servos are plugged into it but only one servo is truely hooked up to the control surfaces.
Please excuse the lack of knowledge, I have not used anything like this before.
Thanks.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another way where you can do away with the ball links altogether.

Name:	Db86025.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	157427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16525.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	157428  
Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Canard flyer

Hey, that's great. The other diagrams I saw involved just some smooth type mount that the servo could move on. The enforced nyrods look like a great way. I am going to try that out, thanks.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 PM
jettstarblue

Hey Canard Flyer,

I got an "E-Flite" electronic mixer for the elevons I'll send you post paid, if you want it. I got tons of stuff, and I have got to get rid of some of it.
PM me if you want it, I'll dig it out. (I just moved so it may take a day)
Let me know.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:32 PM
The Ghost

Canard flyer.
See the quick drawing for hooking up the mixer. I used the sane setup on the CRUSADER 2 RCM Plan #1030 many years ago.

Cheers,

Name:	Bz79250.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	157630  
Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

Ace used to make a Christy Mixer (electronic) that I used in my flying wings years ago. It was added between your receiver & servos and mixed two channels. But, I don't know if they still offer them...
Old 07-27-2004, 06:16 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

Hey Canard Flyer,

I got an "E-Flite" electronic mixer for the elevons I'll send you post paid, if you want it. I got tons of stuff, and I have got to get rid of some of it.
PM me if you want it, I'll dig it out. (I just moved so it may take a day)
Let me know.
Found it! It plugs into the elevator and aileron ports in the radio, and then has one lead to each sevo, works good.

I bought it before I had a radio w/mixing (Hitec Laser4 non computer).