Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using Expo Rates versus point mixing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using Expo Rates versus point mixing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Deano642

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Expo Rates versus point mixing

Can someone provide some insight as to where I can get some training on the benefits of expo rates and how to effectively use them? I just purchased a JR 8103 radio that I plan to use with an Ultimate Bipe and a Funtana 90 but I have no clue as to how to use the potential the radio has. Any help??? Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Azcat59

Default RE: Using Expo Rates versus point mixing

Set your low rates for a nice smooth flying airplane with decent response. Then set the high rates for more aggressive flying, depending upon what you want. I would think on the Ultimate, the high rates would be "crisp" but not 3D level, or "wild". On the other one, if you want to fly 3D with it, you will need the high rates to be way up there in control movement, and this will mean that the airplane is difficult to fly smoothly when not doing maneuvers. This is where the expo would come in. Crank in enough expo so that the first half or so of stick movement is about the same control deflection as your low rate gives, and the last half goes up rapidly. On the 8103, to set the low rate, move the switch towards the bottom of the TX, then set it. For high rate, the switch has to be moved up (to the high rate position) to program it.

Frankly, I have never liked much, if any, expo. I want the same degree of change whether the stick is over 10% or 80%, but then again, I don't fly 3D so many may disagree with me on this.

Hope this helps you. I think you will like your JR 8103.

Clair
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Using Expo Rates versus point mixing

You use the expo function to deaden the sticks around the center point. I use a JR 3810 (Aust eqv of 8103) Use dual rates to give normal or increased throws and then use expo on the high rates to deaden the throw in the centers. I use nearly 60% on high rates on a 3D with almost 3" of surface movement. The instruction manual also have a good explnation of how to use and set this up.

Cheers.