Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Reversing by rewire?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Reversing by rewire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:39 PM
airroy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Reversing by rewire?

Help,

Does anybody know for certain if you can reverse a servo by changing the position of the wires ( red, black, and white ) in the connector. I know you can reverse the servo's action by flipping the dip switch in the transmitter. Let me explain why I am asking this question.

I have just built two planes. One for me and one for my son. Due to financial considerations we were planning on using the same transmitter. A Futaba 6YG-FM. Much to my dismay I have found that my channel one and his channel one ( aileron) servo must operate in opposite directions. In theory we could flip the dip switch in the transmitter to the correct position each time for whichever plane is going up but this is dangerous. If we get it wrong one time something bad will happen. I would like to 'wire' my servos to act correctly for the current transmitter settings. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Reversing by rewire?

In Short NO- This does not work...

If you must use the same transmitter write down the setting for each aircraft on a piece of paper including the dip switch positions, and make this part of your preflight. If this is your standard it will be like second nature-

Better yet find a used transmitter on e*ay or at your LHS. You can get them surprisingly cheap- 20$ = 4ch etc....
Old 08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Live Wire

NO way this has to be done internally. All this does is change the poles of the battery.And look out!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Broken

To reverse the servos you need to use a servo reverser (see link) You need to reverse the signal that is transmitted to the servo via the (white wire)

http://www.ripmax.com/ProductFrames/P-RME2050.html

If you MUST use a single Tx- I still recomend that you write down the trim settings for each model.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:19 PM
frugalflyer

Like they all say you can not reverse the servo by rewiring the connector. They can however be reversed if you are handy with a solder iron. Open up the servo and you will see 3 wires going to the motor and another 3 going to the pot. Swap over the two outer wires (usually black and red) on both the pot and motor.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:01 AM
will

Try a different brand of servo. If memory serves me correctly, the JR and Futaba servo's travel in opposite directions.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

No, as stated above Futaba turns one direction, Hitec and Jr the other.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems to me that everyone is missing the simple solution!

Just put whatever connector you are using at the servo on the other side of the servo horn. Actuation now works in reverse.

Another relatively inexpensive solution is to get a reversing "Y" connector and connect the servo to the end of the "Y" that makes the servo go in the direction needed.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the old days, we just reversed the positive and neg wires in the servo. Personally, I don't like to do it, but it worked.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad info Flyboy, I'm from the old days too if the 50's and 60's are old days, and NEVER saw a feedback servo that could be reversed by simply reversing the positive and negative leads. Even back then you had to reverse both the motor leads and the outer leads to the potentiometer.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
smokingcrater

Just put whatever connector you are using at the servo on the other side of the servo horn. Actuation now works in reverse.
that won't work in many planes, as the layout is pretty much fixed and you can't really deviate. I know that if I tried that in any of my planes I would have some horrible geometry problems for any of the surfaces.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:40 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

My servo went Kapoof,dont you remember?.......lol I didnt bother to read all the post But I had the same problem and tried rewiring the servo then as I turned it on I had a small but realistic camp fire in my wing...lol Some chap in RCU then told me about a specific servo reversing wire and its a Y wire for when you want one to be opisite of the other but work in the same direction. He gave me the tower part # hopefully some one had it for you. This place is out of this Wor....ld PS reversing can be done internaly but it has to be done in two places and if you ask me buying the wire is easier its around 18 bucks
Old 08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airroy

Help,

Does anybody know for certain if you can reverse a servo by changing the position of the wires ( red, black, and white ) in the connector. I know you can reverse the servo's action by flipping the dip switch in the transmitter. Let me explain why I am asking this question.

I have just built two planes. One for me and one for my son. Due to financial considerations we were planning on using the same transmitter. A Futaba 6YG-FM. Much to my dismay I have found that my channel one and his channel one ( aileron) servo must operate in opposite directions. In theory we could flip the dip switch in the transmitter to the correct position each time for whichever plane is going up but this is dangerous. If we get it wrong one time something bad will happen. I would like to 'wire' my servos to act correctly for the current transmitter settings. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Reversing the wires on the servo will not work and may very well blow the servo.

The easiest way is to move the servo arm to the opposite side of the servo.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

your radio doesnt have a reversing function or different model memories?
if not. you may have to remove the servo and turn it to face the same way to mach the outher model yo can do this but you may have to make new mounting set up. or if you must change the wiring the way I see it is leave the black in place thats the neg side
switch the red with green or yellow depending on the colors you have ,switch the incomming wires and then switch the wires to the pot the same way but leave black alone. Now this was my idea to do the last time,But I thought of it too late I just tried to switch the incomming wire,nothing happened but when I messed with switching the black and red it blew up the servo,so like I said leave the black in place and switch the color wires in two places ,incomming and the pot off the board
Old 08-03-2004, 03:37 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Bad info Flyboy, I'm from the old days too if the 50's and 60's are old days, and NEVER saw a feedback servo that could be reversed by simply reversing the positive and negative leads. Even back then you had to reverse both the motor leads and the outer leads to the potentiometer.

Your right, forgot about that. Like I said, it had been years since I did it. Forgot about the motor. Still don't advise it. Transmitters are cheap if reversing the switch is a big deal.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Donnie7

In the great planes ryan STA you have to reverse a servo. Info is in the downloadable manual. There is a servo reverse adapter made. The manufacturer and model # is mentioned in the manual.
Donnie
Old 08-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Stick Jammer

If you want to go with a servo reversing harness, here's the link to what you need from Tower. $18.99 This one is for Futaba, there's also one for JR.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN1&P=ML

You may also want to think about a 6-channel (or more) computer radio. It makes setting up all the servos much easier and will have the ability to hold the programs in it's memory for multiple planes. Pre-flight checks on all the control surfaces is still a good idea though no matter what radio you are using. Get into the habit of doing that before each and every flight and you'll never lose a plane due to a surface moving in the wrong direction.