Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Solid Propellent Rocket Engine in Trainer!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solid Propellent Rocket Engine in Trainer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Propellent Rocket Engine in Trainer!!!

Okay just a thought but wouldn't it be a gas to install one of the solid propellent rocket engines in a trainer or strap one of the rockets to the underside of a plane and lift it with another plane and let it glide down then igniting the rocket motor while pointed up?? Think I saw it done in a video here but not sure...Whats everyones thoughts??
Old 08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solid Propellent Rocket Engine in Trainer!!!

Some will claim "inovation" and explore new ideas etc..etc.. But overall it is a bad idea that has been talked about here many-many-many-times over.

Just go someplace where no one can get hurt and nothing can catch fire..
Old 08-09-2004, 12:59 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tommy157

Okay just a thought but wouldn't it be a gas to install one of the solid propellent rocket engines in a trainer or strap one of the rockets to the underside of a plane and lift it with another plane and let it glide down then igniting the rocket motor while pointed up?? Think I saw it done in a video here but not sure...Whats everyones thoughts??
It's not allowed on AMA fields. And that's a good thing. [8D]
Old 08-09-2004, 01:35 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will get plenty of negitive comments about this. I have used RATO on two planes. NO I did not burn anything down, NO I did not do this at an AMA field. Yes it was safe. Estes was making and selling a rocket powered glider for a couple of years.

I am not an AMA expert, so do not quote me. The one item I remember about the rules is that the solid rocket body has to stay with the aircraft. The rocket engine for the rocket powered glider did not have a charge to deploy a chute so they just stayed insdie the fuse.

From memory the thrust line of the rocket has to point through the center of gravity of the aircraft.

Try doing a search on RATO and JATO or rocket assisted take off.

Dru.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:43 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, so long as the rocket stays attached to the model, or the rocket is flown in accordance with the NMRA safety code you CAN fly your idea at an AMA field. Only thing restricted by the safety code is launching against a ground or air target.

Trouble is most model rocket motors are very small and short burning relative to the mass of an RC airplane So you will see a little PFFFT of smoke, and not much acceleration out of your airplane. No flames just smoke.

Just be safe

Tom AMA CD 8026
Old 08-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Trouble is most model rocket motors are very small and short burning relative to the mass of an RC airplane So you will see a little PFFFT of smoke, and not much acceleration out of your airplane. No flames just smoke.
Hafta disagree a little there...depends on engine choice. Go to http://www.rcuniverse.com/vgallery/ Fourth row down in the middle is Mac Hodges B-29 inverted with the caption SEFF 2003. Watch the video. About 2/3 of the way through they light the rocket on the X-1. Impressive, I think.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Broken

I think you just made "MT's" case.... the model X1 is small and very lightweight. thats why it looks so 'impressive'.
We can do the math later but a Estes "D" size engine has about 30N of thrust. Thats about six max thrust pounds. Sounds impressive right! (wrong). When you account for the size of a model trainer the overall acceleration force is not that great.

That is why the only practical application for small solid rocket engines in RC has always been with small gliders. I guess you could strap several engines to a model trainer- But again the extra battery weight+engines would make the overall net effect inefficient at best..
Old 08-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

My bad Broken/MT....by the time I read your post I had forgotten we were talking about a trainer. Its this age thing...
Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Okay guess it wasn't such a great idea...thanks for the comments guys..
Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

not sure what size plane, but...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Rock...2054860/tm.htm