Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass cloth fraying

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass cloth fraying

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Lynn1953

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass cloth fraying

How do you keep the fiberglass from fraying while installing? Do you use masking tape on the edges while applying the epoxy them peel it back?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Fiberglass cloth fraying

Could you elaborate a bit? Where are you trying to put the cloth?

If you stick tape to the cloth it will pull the threads when you try to remove it.

Ed S
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lynn1953

How do you keep the fiberglass from fraying while installing? Do you use masking tape on the edges while applying the epoxy them peel it back?
First, cut the fiberglass on a piece of glass with a SHARP blade to minimize any fraying.

CAREFULLY handle the piece of fiberglass.

Apply your epoxy (or what ever you are using to adhere it down with ) work from the center out towards the edges. Brush IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY.

Overlap any pieces by AT LEAST 1/2".

When the epoxy has cured, sand off any frayed edges.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:17 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Another good trick for cutting fiberglass cleanly with minimal freying is to cut in on cardboard. The cardboard allows the knife to go all the way through the cloth. Make sure you have a new blade too.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:47 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Frying!??
When you sand it or.... when you cut it (with a pair of scissors)???
Fiberglass never frays when you sand it if you use a good 24 hour epoxy or polyester resin.
I use a pair of scissors (heavy duty type of cast iron) when I cut the thin fiber glass(25g or heavier fibre). Never use ordinary epoxy glue when reinforcing a wing center..use 24 h laminating epoxy or polyester resin.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
birdnest

you can cut it with those pizza cutter style wheels (fiscars, etc.) and a cutting mat. Use latex gloves when handling it. Use a really soft craft paint brush to lay the glass down. Use the right epoxy (laminting resin, it's thinner). Be careful around the edges.

Peter
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Lynn1953

I'm doing a wing center section. I was going to put the tape on the edges. I would tape down the cloth on the outside the cut line but along the cut line. Cut would be made along the outside edge of the tape. Then lay the cloth down on the wing and spread the glue to the tape edge. Then when dry I woud cut at the tape edge and sand smooth.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 PM
birdnest

nah, dont do it that way. cut the glass to the width you want. do the bottom first, let it dry, then the top. lay the piece down where you want it and brush it litely into place with a soft paint brush from the craft store, for pastels or watercolors, not a house paint brush. stay away from the edges. Use laminating epoxy, mix it up and lay it down, dont screw around, get it down fast, it starts to thicken if you leave it in the mixing container. Using a disposable acid brush, put some epoxy in the middle and brush it towards the edges but leave the edges for last. The cloth should overhang the leading and trailing edges and later, the top should overlap the bottom. Now carefully brush the epoxy into the edge of the cloth and go beyond a half inch onto the wood. When it's dry, use a curved permagrit tool or dowel wrapped with sandpaper to smooth the cloth at the edges and cut off the excess at the leading and trailing edge. Do not sand beyond the cloth or you will sand a dip into the adjacent balsa.

peter
Old 08-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Gollywock

Lay the cloth on newspaper and smooth it out as best you can. Mist a very light coat of clear lacquer onto it. Allow it to completely dry then cut it to size. Jim
Old 08-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Kaos Rulz

Lynn1953

If your trying to prevent fraying while cutting, just lightly spray some 3M-77 adhesive along the cutting lines, let it cure for a couple of minutes, then cut. The ends will not fray, and the adhesive will lightly adhere to the balsa (with minimal, if any fraying).
Old 08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
jaka

Hi!
Why complicate things that don't have to be complicated...just use a pair of scissors and cut what ever shape of the the glass cloth you like ...then lay it out onto the wing centre, bottom first and just pour on some laminating epoxy spreading it out with and ordinary brush (apr 2-3cm wide) ...It is so very easy do so don't worry about fraying edges ....just let it cure for 24 hours. Then do the upper part ..let it cure and then sand it with 150 or 180 sand paper using a sanding block!
Best sandpaper on the market is the Portuguese Brand INDASA "Rhynodry Plus" Red line. You will be amazed how good this is compared to all other sandpaper. If you can't get your hand on this sandpaper.... 3M gray dry will do.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Ed Smith

Why complicate things that don't have to be complicated...just use a pair of scissors and cut what ever shape of the the glass cloth you like ...

'Just use Scissors" Jan, that is far too simple. This is North America. We have to use complicated procedures (Preferably expensive) and analyze it to death. We have too much time and money to get rid of.

Ed S
Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM
jaka

Hi!
ooooooh I see.......
JK