Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Airplane Storage

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Airplane Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:11 PM
av8er50
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane Storage

I am fairly new to the southwest area of the US, Phoenix area to be specific.
My question is this, are there any negative effects on storing airplanes in the garage. I'm not sure of temps exactly, but I would guess high about 110 in the garage (thats the highest I've seen on the in car thermometer).
We have always had enough room for me to have an airplane work shop in the house, but we are getting to the point where are boys need there own rooms. Not to mention I'm getting tired of carrying all of my planes and equipment up and down the stairs and in and out of the house. I have done minor damage several times doing this.
We are currently looking at buying a new house and if there is not a good room inside for me to use, I'm going to have the third garage air conditioned so I can at least keep it about 90 degrees.
Any way I guess the question is, is it safe to store them in the garage. Let me know if any of you fellow desert dwellers store 'em in the garage. If so are there any secrets that you can share with me about this.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:26 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Airplane Storage

Jeff, did you make it out to the AMPS field yet?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I have a friend that stores his in a shed. so they are in all kinds of extreme hot and cold tempetures. Our winters are around 10- 20 degrees and sometimes below 0. Our summers are usually between 70 and 95 degrees. I wouldn't emagine the garage would hurt. I don't emagine the extreme cold would be good for batteries and especially the glues or any other solvents that can't be in the cold. but where you are I don't see the cold being a problem, as long as you keep it below 100 degrees
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 PM
av8er50

No where is it at?
I have tried to get ahold of a couple club presidents, but no return emails.
Jeff
Old 08-19-2004, 09:35 PM
av8er50

I have noticed that a battery opereated clock I have in the garage dies about a week or two after putiing a new battery in it, I blamed the heat. That is one of myy concerns with having batteries in the garage.
Jeff
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

As another desert dweller (Palm Springs area), I can say that the only negative things about keeping your planes in the garage will be that the covering will NEVER settle down. Between the lack of humidity shrinking the wood and the covering trying to adapt to this, you'll be ironing more than you think. HOWEVER, come winter when its only 60 degrees or so, you'll have nice stable airframes.

I wouldn't keep the transmitters in the garage, or anything with batteries for that matter. The heat will eventually take its toll. Another think I noticed is that at 116 degrees, my Hobby Shack power panel glow starter went dead. Probably because it thought it was overheated.

Anything with LCD readouts should be kept cooler than 100 degrees too. Takes a toll on the elements. I had a CB radio that had to have the display replaced after one summer in the truck. One of our guys puts thin foam covers over his computer radio display to keep the sun from cooking it.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:21 AM
av8er50

Thats kinda what I was afraid of. I just think that with out A/C the heat would destroy the reciever batteries. The concern was exactly what you mentioned about the covering. I have a Hangar 9 P-51 that sets on a table in my office/ workshop in the house. The table sets infront of a window that gets direct sun. Even with the blinds closed it still gets pretty warn in the middle of summer. I have noticed the covering on the side that faces the window is wrinkled.
Thanks for sharing your experience, anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?
Jeff
Old 08-20-2004, 05:49 PM
rcmiket

Jeff- I'm down the road in El Paso, Its hot here to I've been storing in the garage for years with no ill effects. Keep a eye on the batteries, some say the heat will get to them but so far I haven't had a problem.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:02 PM
av8er50

Thats good to know, batteries are my main concern. I don't want to find out it hurt a battery. You know that would happen while it was in flight!!! I may try it for awhile with one and see what happens.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 08-20-2004, 08:17 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Jeff, AMPS is off of 59th east of the 101 loop. Its near that water park.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
av8er50

OK, Ive seen other people mention it. I haven't got involved with a club yet. After moving here I was pretty busy and didn't get any rc flying in for several months,. Right now I live in Surprise, but we hope to be moving to Mesa in the next couple months. So I'l probably wait til we move to join a club.