Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on Sport plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recommendations on Sport plane

Old 08-22-2004, 01:49 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on Sport plane

Hey there, I'm looking for a good sport plane that will work well with a .80-.91 4-stroke.

I've had a number of nice planes in the past and one of my favorites was a sportster 40 - it had great flight characteristics and with it's constant chord wing it had no bad stall characteristics. It did fine in the aerobatics that I asked it to do. I also of course have had an ugly stick and a sig cougar (FAST with a fox .50) - again two very good planes.

My goals are great slow speed performance and slightly advanced ability to do some average aerobatics, snaps, spins, stalls and maybe some knife edge flight. I'd like it to be sized so that the 80-91 4stroke will provide great vertical abilities.

If you have a good 40 sized recommendation please by all means let me know about it. I was looking at the Great Planes RV-4 actually but I wasn't quite sure what sized engine I could get away with. I read some reviews on the Great Planes Extra 300 and Cap 232 and they alluded to some nasty stall characteristics and they are a little smaller than I was looking for.

I'm just recently back into the game from a few years vacation. I've been practicing on my simulators and with a friend's trainer to get my sticks back but now I'm ready to get my own again. The trainer just isn't enough but with my experience a "Second plane" kind of deal just isn't enough but I still do need something that is forgiving.

I'm not looking for something that is fast like an ultra sport - I like to go slow through aerobatic maneuvers so I tend to prop the heck out or an engine for the torque rather than the speed.

Right now I'm leaning towards an ugly stick (everyone needs and ugly stick don't they?) or another sportster (60). I don't think I can go wrong with either of those but if there is something else out there I'd sure like to know about it.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Recommendations on Sport plane

You could look at the Sig Four Star 60. The kit is easy to build, and it will perform well on a 91FS. It is very easy to fly and will do adequate aerobatics. LOL.

Bill
Old 08-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Imac Kiwi

Goldberg Tiger 60 would also be a good choice.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Both are very good planes but just not quite what I'm looking for...

I like the classic lines of the Sporster and the Sig Astro hog or spacewalker.

The 4 Star falls within those classic lines of course so I may just try it since I've had a Sporster.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:35 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: submikester
I like the classic lines of the Sporster and the Sig Astro hog or spacewalker.

Thanks guys!

So why not the Hog or a Spacewalker. Most versions of both fit the bill you are asking for perfectly. The Spacewalkers are aviliable in a number of sizes by various companys and of course the Hogs are still avaliable. There is also a very nice flying Hog Bipe.

John
Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

spacewalker sounds like what your lookin for.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Wing-Ding

I really like my SIG 4*60. I'm running a .61 Thunder Tiger, but I've heard it works great with the engines you mentioned. Happy Flying!
Old 08-23-2004, 05:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at the GP Super Sportster. It has the classic lines you like, and while it isn't as fast as an Ultrasport, is has great aerobatic capabilities.