Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tiger Shark Engine's (ANYONE HAVE ONE )?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tiger Shark Engine's (ANYONE HAVE ONE )?

Old 07-29-2002, 01:39 AM
Flyguy1791
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Shark Engine's (ANYONE HAVE ONE )?

Have been trying for some time now to get this new .75 started.

Will burn off the primer i give it but just doesn't have enough to pull the fuel from tank. Have tried everything.

Have tightened every screw till it won't turn anymore. This engine is a ABC eng. it has a hard spot at the top of compression turn. Suppose to be this way and will wear in .

can hear a leak somewhere when I flip the prop by hand to prime eng. Sometimes I see fuel moving up to the carb and others I don't. Can't find leak . Just hear it at times like a hiss for a moment .

I have a fueling probe I use and have dis-connected it and ran straight plumbing from fill to carb and overflow to muffler, still cant get the vacuum needed.
ANYONE HAVE ONE OF THESE ??

Tony
Old 07-30-2002, 12:55 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you might have a leak at the tank. Other than that, check to make sure the engine came with a head gasket installed. Also check to make sure that the back plate gasket is not broken. Just to make sure I didn't miss anything, you do have a copper gasket under the glow plug, right?

One of the students at our field had one of the 40 something size engines of this make. He flys O.S. now. Out of 10 people, not one of us was ever able to get it to run properly.

Good luck,
Silversurfer
Old 07-31-2002, 02:14 AM
Flyguy1791

Default tiger shark

Seems after talking to the people That make the engine , they told me to check a few things . 1st off, the low end needle was not properly set .

The space needed between the low and high needle wants to be a good 1/16 " space when the carb is fully open. Came in at about 1/32 "

2nd , seems they forgot to drill a through hole for the fuel to enter on a few models, after i seen that the eng I had was not broken through for the fuel to enter, I got out my dremal.

Opened the low end about 6 turns and got my spacing set.
Fired right up, two tanks thru but with heat kept on as it was real rich and sputtered when off.

While breaking in , will keep settings . Will get final settings when ready to fly.

Thanks for the feedback as it has been a bear....never thought to check for a thru hole..

People were very helpful when I called and very willing to help me in anyway even though I had engine for two years NIB on my shelf. Sometimes a call really pans out.

Tony
Old 07-31-2002, 02:31 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not too rich

Don't break-in an ABC type engine really rich. When run too rich the engine will actually run too cool which in turn will not allow the piston and sleeve to expand properly. When this happens the fit between the piston and sleeve will wear out prematurely. This will greatly shorten the life and power of the engine.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:19 AM
Flyguy1791

Default tiger shark eng

I have run about 2-3 tanks so far, seems it runs great with the heater on and then really rich when off . Can't seem to get a happy medium as throttle opens up 1/2 way fine and then boggs down.

Have to open high speed needle to get it to run at full throttle but at that setting on the needle valve , it usually dies at low throttle settings.

I am gonna run 2 more tanks thru it tomorrow and will lean it out , ( will have to keep heater on ) /

Thanks for the reply back as I never had anything like this before.
I usually run FOX or Supertigre engs and they run out of the box.

Tony
Old 08-21-2002, 04:18 PM
rockmon

I got ahold of one of their older 75's a couple years ago and yup turn the low end out just a little but turn the high end out to 41/2 turns and it will fire right up. Get ahold of Kangke and they will send you a new carb u.p.s. in a couple days,very good service. Anyway once you get that puppy to run you will love it,lots of power and sips fuel like a fourty. In fact stick it in a 40 size cap and have more fun than should be allowed, I put mine on a Kyosho Brietling(sp?) weeeehaw! I traded the plane for a new H-9 1/4 scale cap still in the box a year ago and still miss the plane and the motor.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:07 PM
TerrellFlyer

10 or 15 years ago I bought the 40 size, flew it on 4 or 5 planes ,then loaned it to our club to use on the club trainer,we use 15% Sig fuel and OS#8 glow plug,it still has lots of power,and drinks very little fuel,I should buy another Tiger Shark,because this one has been one of the best engines I,ve ever used.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:10 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

I got a NIB .75 here on RCU. I broke it in on 32 oz of 10% and OS #8. Changed the plug after break in, and had NO problems. Idled great, transitioned great, turning a 13X6. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall performance of the engine. Too bad I didn't raise my antenna on that last flight, though.....
Old 08-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Flyguy1791

Default TS .75

OUCH !!

I guess you know that the fever sometimes takes over us and we forget what were doing.
I also have forgot to raise the antenna once.
Seems we learn that way and it never happens again.

Glad to hear the engine ran great though....I'm thinking of using another new engine (ASP .61 ) that I have and trade the carb on the TS for another one.

Stay Cool ,
Tony