Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Proper procedure to trim out a new plane >

Proper procedure to trim out a new plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Proper procedure to trim out a new plane

Old 08-24-2004, 06:59 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper procedure to trim out a new plane

I have a bad record in sucessful first flights. I buy "ARF" thinking that production eliminates the chances of building errors. The models that i've had trouble with ,Hanger 9 AT6 Texan with retracts, and a Extra 300s. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Proper procedure to trim out a new plane

Hi,

I've found information at the following two sites, hope it helps you.

To trim models go to: http://www.nsrca.org/technical/trimm...mmingChart.pdf

For trim problems and corrections see the Hobby Hobby site at http://www.hobbyhobby.com/index1.html select AIRPLANES and then go to the bottom of the page and look in the boxes for “Flight Trim Your Model” and select it.

Hope this helps, please let me know.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne MIller
Old 08-24-2004, 08:21 PM

Hi Wayne, Thanks for the help. will check out sites and let you know results.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
My Feedback: (35)

On every new flight of mine I have someone stand next to me to work the trims. This way all I have to do is fly the plane. This also works when doing mixs on the computer radio. I fly someone else changes the radio mixes. Dennis
Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the retracts, I suggest replacing the struts with either oleo's or go to a 3/16" strut. There are also titanium struts available (I THINK Dave Brown has them ).

If you pull the retract, there should be adjustments to tighten it up.

Other options (if you don't want to modify the existing retracts to 3/16" ) are the Robart mechanical retracts. They can be had with the 3/16" strut.

Any of these can correct the "wobbling" and weak retracts on the AT6.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Trimming an airplane is easy.
Just put the C of G where the manufacturer suggest (25%-30% of the cord mostly). Here the airplane should balance level or the nose pointing slightly down.
Then balance the airplane in length-wise (in axial) by putting one finger under the spinner(nut)and one under the side-rudder...airplane should hang level.

Then have a reliable engine that doesn't quit on you, a correct propeller size and a good servo installation without sloppy elevator, aileron and rudder surfaces.
The elevator should for example never deflect when you push on it...never!!
To have this you must follow a simple rule: Always mount the pushrod as close to the servo center as possible and always have as long as possible elevator arm (rudder and aileron to) as possible...that makes a stiff connection between the servo and elevator surface.
Also.... always have 90 degree connections between servo arm and push rod ...and elevator horn and push rod at the back of the airplane.
Then practice flying a lot with a simple box-like low winged airplane (Q-500 racer look-a-like) and ...preferable start competing in pylonracing as this gives you a very good know-how in how airplanes "work" and you definitely become a better pilot.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-26-2004, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (9)

NEVER take an arf for granted like you I was taught that lesson the hard way. Never assume that the wing sadles are perfectly level and even giving a zero incidence. Or that the wing was built up in the correct way to take on the pressure of flat spins and other hard manuvers. Always double check those seemingly obvious things before finalizing your glueing process. Like i said I paid for that little bit of education the hard way too.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

I really want to thank all of you for your help. I have found that I relied to much on what I thought was proper and never bothered to really check the proper trim in all areas of flight. I have rebuilt both aircraft and the warbird is well behaved and I appreciate flying with proper trim. The 300 may take much more work. Thank again for your help.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:01 PM

NEVER ASSUME THE OBVIOUS IS THE OBVIOUS!
ORIGINAL: orchidguy

I really want to thank all of you for your help. I have found that I relied to much on what I thought was proper and never bothered to really check the proper trim in all areas of flight. I have rebuilt both aircraft and the warbird is well behaved and I appreciate flying with proper trim. The 300 may take much more work. Thank again for your help.