Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tachometer Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tachometer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:47 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer Problems

Has anyone out there experienced the problem of the digital readout on their tach becoming so light that it can't be read? Turning the tach on and off and holding it so that it reflects light just right, the display can be seen VERY slightly--no way could a spinning prop be read by this thing. I have repaced the battery and taken the thing apart and cleaned the contacts, etc. Nothing works. Does anyone know if anything can be done with this thing or is it trash at this point. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, guys and gals.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:20 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Tachometer Problems

There is a theory (I'll call it that, since it is 'hear-say'..) that teh LCD screens on our radios, our tach, and our watches can and will get damaged when exposed to direct sunlight. It fades them. Dunno how or why, but apparently a few have returned radios taht no longer 'function' because teh screen dosen't light up or has turned black. Turns out the screen is faulty.

LCD screens usually have a polerized filter over them so you can 'see' teh numbers. Wearing polarized sunglasses can make teh screen look funny too.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:10 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparently a few have returned radios taht no longer 'function' because teh screen dosen't light up or has turned black.
I've actually seen computer radio screens turn black fairly often, but covering the screen will often allow them to return to normal.

I never leave my transmitter with the face in the direct sun. Why push my luck?
Dennis-
Old 08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Guys, I appreciate your replies. I guess this thing is junk at this point. It was left in a closed drawer in my flight box in the basement since the last time I used it, so sunlight is not the problem. As I said, it works, but the readout is so faint there is no way it could be read in bright sunlight. This hobby is expensive enough without things going bad while not in use.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:37 PM
J_R

Before you give up on it, try it when it has not been sitting in the sun and heat. If you point it at a florescent bulb, you should get a reading. It may be that you just need to leave it in the shade, or maybe even in a baggie in a cooler (don't get it wet). There are some days here when the temp is over 120 and screens on tachs and radios seem to have problems, only to return to normal when the temp drops.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Bill DCat

In my experience I've only seen LCD screens turn BLACK when they get too hot in direct sunlight. I've never seen them fade out like J_R describes.

The only time I've seen an LCD fade out is when the batteries were going out. J_R, you said you tried replacing the battery. Was it a brand new battery that you know is good? If so, I would check for corrosion or a frayed battery wire or something like that that would reduce the voltage to the tach. Heck, if all else fails, take it apart and look for anything "funny" inside. With it sitting in your box for so long it could have some corrosion in it. I've cleaned corroded circuit boards up with alcohol and Q-Tips.

Hope some of this helps...