Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pin Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 02:36 PM
APIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin Hinges

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a crash of unknown origin. In the process of disassembly to remove the covering for rebuild , the CA hinges were removed via a razor knife. My question concerns pin hinges, is a 1/8 dia hinge in 1/4 balsa stab sufficient "meat" to be structurally sound. My stab is 27" across and I am planning to use 3 hinges per elevator. The elevator is controlled by two servo's harnessed. Any help would be much appreciated
Old 08-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pin Hinges

ORIGINAL: APIA

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a crash of unknown origin. In the process of disassembly to remove the covering for rebuild , the CA hinges were removed via a razor knife. My question concerns pin hinges, is a 1/8 dia hinge in 1/4 balsa stab sufficient "meat" to be structurally sound. My stab is 27" across and I am planning to use 3 hinges per elevator. The elevator is controlled by two servo's harnessed. Any help would be much appreciated
It sounds thin to me. The nylon part of the hinge (the part that goes into the elevator and horizontal stab ) is 1/16" - 3/32" thick. If you take the 1/16" thickness, that leaves 3/32" of meat to hold it in. In all probabability you are looking at 1/16" - 5/64" of meat per side.

It MAY work, but I would not want to put my engine or electronics in the plane. I suggest moving to the side of the old CA hinge and cut new slots and install new CA hinges. If a CA hinge is installed PROPERLY, it is just as strong as a pinned hinge and will last the life of the plane. I have a Gee Bee Y (the sport model) with an 86" wingspan, dual elevator servos and powered by an OS 1.60 FX that flies fine using CA hinges.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Pin Hinges

!/8" pinned hinges will work fine on a 1/4" stab. While you will only have 1/16" on top and bottom of the hinge, you'll still have plenty of meat on either side.

I have seen this used successfully many times