Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 How to paint fabric >

How to paint fabric

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to paint fabric

Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to paint fabric

I am covering a Jungmeister with Super Coverite and I was curious what the paint process is. I have read a few posts about applying dope to the fabric to fill the weave. I was surprised to see that you apply dope to the fabric I figured it was a prime and paint process. Anyway if someone can give me the down and dirty of this process that would be great. I will be using a glow engine.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to paint fabric

This is the way i paint Coverite;I buy Randolf's airplane dope,look for Wag Aero,they sell it.First i spray a couple of coats of clear dope possibly three,you want to seal the gaps in the fabric.then i use white primer to the edges etc.Scuff everything with 600 sandpaper then clean clean it all down with mineral spirits,clean with a tack cloth,spray on my colors.Add some plastisizer and some fisheye remover if you can to the paint.For masking use the plastic masking tape for cars.don't try regular masking tape cause the paint will creep.also be very carefull removering the tape because it will pull the paint from the fabric if you get wreckless.Let the paintjob set up for a couple of weeks then rub it out it,WOW,showroom quality!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used that covering before and it was recommended that dope sealed the fibers best on that covering. Unless you have the prepainted Coverite.
You can use butyrate or nitrate dope, about two to three coats thinned 50/50. If you use the nitrate dope let it cure seven to ten days before painting. Has to shrink a bit. Sand lightly with 400 wet and dry in between coats to remove the fuss.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 PM

Doug and Slade

Someone from the LHS said I could just paint directly on to the fabric, is this true? Out of curiosity, what happens when paint is applied directly? I appreciate the info it is exactly what I was looking for. I will follow the dope process. I do not want to have to re-cover the plane.

Slade,

When you say "rub it out" what are referring to? Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:53 PM

JRM.The situation with fabric is that it is pourous without being prepared properly and you will have zillions of pinholes in the paintjob if you do not do so.Another problem is that the fabric is flexible and if you do not use a paint that will flex with the fabric it will crack and chip off.That is why i highly suggest using a plastisizer in the paint,i have used dopes,laquers and also acrylic enamels to paint fabric.There really is no way around it,you have to seal the fabric with dope before you paint it or the pinholes will show.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 PM

JRM,Dope is simalar to laquer in composition.To really get a high gloss paintjob on fabric you can lightly sand (600 wet) the paint after it cures(Give it a few weeks)then use a polishing compound to to put the gloss to it.Just like you buff a car,I have done this in the past and you should see the results,Truely 'Hangar Queen' results.Thats what rubbing the paint out is,works with laquers and dopes,don't try it with enamels,won't work till the paint is set,that takes about a year.,,,,,Slade
Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (30)

If I could re-open this thread- I'd like to know how people may have painted over the already painted Coverite fabric. Their web site states that only their own paint is compatible with the paint put on the colored fabric material, yet others have described getting good results using latex sprayed on. Any luck with any other paints- Warbird colors, Nelson Hobby Paints, Krylon?