Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what type of paint should i use...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what type of paint should i use...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:32 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of paint should i use...

Here ...it is a fiberglass body...the model i have is blue and i want a different color but i'm not sure what would be best.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what type of paint should i use...

Since it is fiberglass a good part of your problems are solved.

First, I would CAREFULLY sand off as much of the original paint as possible. DO NOT SAND TO THE FIBERGLASS - leave a little of the original paint/gel coat there. DO NOT USE A PAINT STRIPPER. The majority of the strippers WILL DAMAGE the fiberglass.

Then I would prime it and paint it.

The type of paint you use will be determined to a great extent by whether you are using glow power or electric.

On a personal level, I like and use latex paint. Latex can EASILY be mixed for an EXACT match to existing colors (just bring a sample to the paint store ). This does require spray equipment to do the job properly. Latex USUALLY takes 7 - 10 days to "cure", but can take longer depending on the temperature and humidity. Latex is lighter in weight than enamel or lacquer when dry/cured. I STRONGLY suggest using a white primer as your lighter colors (yellow, cream, etc ) will cover it in fewer coats. You can also use spray bombs of Ultracoate or LusterKote (ugh ).

If the plane is electric, that is all you need. If the plane is glow powered, you will need to clearcoat the latex with a waterbase polyurethane or something like Ultracote clear to fuel proof it.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what type of paint should i use...

thanx Campy....i'm gonna make the plane glow powered and now it's just a matter of what colors to use.