Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aliphatic Resin?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aliphatic Resin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:59 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aliphatic Resin?

I am trying to figure out exactly what aliphatic resin is. I have a bottle of Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Interior.

Is this aliphatic resin?

I can't see it written anywhere on the bottle, but I thought normal white wood glue was aliphatic resin.

Am I wrong?
Old 12-06-2001, 04:47 PM
Tommy Meisel

Default Aliphatic Resin?

Maverick:

I'm not a glue expert so take my comments with a grain of salt. I always understood aliphatic resin to mean the yellow wood glue, like Elmer's Carpenter's glue. I think that is what most modelers think of when you say alipahtic resin. But it is certainly possible that the white glues are also aliphatic resin. For example, Pica's GluIt (great stuff!) says right on the label that it is an aliphatic glue (doesn't say resin) and it is white.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:45 PM
rcalfred

Default Aliphatic Resin?

Article by Gerry Yarrish in the March 1999 issue of MAN (pg 104) says that they are classified as "yellow glues". Lists Elmer's Glue, Titebond, Wilhold, Pica Gluitt [even though it's white!] as examples. Suggests NOT using Elmer's White Glue because it is less water-resistant than the yellow carpenter's variety. Some guys say that the "exterior" yellow glues are the better ones. Take your pick. Regards.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:54 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Glues

This discussion prompts me to ask what is HobbyLobby's product they call Super Phatic. I built a sig LT .25 entirely with the stuff except for the firewall and nearly all the fuse and wings on my Bruce Tharpe Flyin King. When the wind rolled my LT .25 into the ground not one joint broke, the wood broke everywhere except where it was glued. It's great stuff.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:37 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Aliphatic Resin?

Thanks for the replies. Now I need to find the real stuff!
Old 12-29-2001, 07:40 AM
HitecRedneck

Default Aliphatic Resin?

The "Yellow" glues are alphatic and can be sanded, stained etc. If you build two boxes, one with alphatic the other with white glue, and drop them, the box built with white glue will break first. This relates to tensile strength factored into the alphatic glues makeup.

As for the super alphatic statement, this could be the indoor-outdoor alphatic such as water proof alphatic therefore being sold as super alphatic.

As I say, That's my 2¢