Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 (.40/.60)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes Extra 300 (.40/.60)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Chris in SF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300 (.40/.60)

Hi, I would like to know how various engines fit in the two GP Extra's. For example, will a .40 fit completely within the cowl (no cutouts). If so, how much bigger can I go before I need to make a hole in the cowl? Same with the .60 size....what can I fit in it without any cutouts?

I noticed in the instructions of both that it is a tight fit between the engine head and the cowl but it looked like there was enough clearance (a little heat shielding tape in this area could possibly help?)

Finally, would any of you recommend either of these planes as a first low wing? I have read that the .40 size is more docile than the Sig Somethin' Extra. I would only assume that the .60 is even more so.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-03-2002, 10:47 PM
mancha

chris in SF

gp extra 40 is not the best first low wing plane, try a sportster the 40 or 60 will give you great joy and will help you in the first steps of low wing planes.
and yes, the extra 300 .40 will handle a 46 fx with-in the cowl w/o exposing the cylinder
Old 08-03-2002, 10:53 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

I can't comment on getting an engine in the GP Extra-300 without cutting the cowl as I have a side mounted Saito .80 in my .40 ship. However I would recommend using a fiberglass cowl.

As to the comparison between the Extra-300 and the Sig Somethin' Extra; I own both and the SE is W-A-Y more docile at low speeds and low rates than the 300. At high rates the SE is an adrenaline rush with a big mill up front (I have a Saito .72) and a 200% larger rudder for hovering.

Finally, I would not recommend the Extra-300 as a first low wing plane and would only recommend the SE if you tame it way down. A much better first low wing plane that still won't look like a 'trainer' at the field is the World Models (Airborne) T-34. It will do almost everything the 300 will and seem to land itself without biting a low time flier. Later you can increase the control surfaces as described in last month's AMA magazine RC Aerobatics column and do a full pattern.

quint
Old 08-08-2002, 10:22 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

try the sig 4 star .40 it is a low wing i used it for my trainer and it worked out great and easy to build when i built the wing i cut out the last bay on each wing did'nt float as much
now i'am flying a something extra & gp .60 extra 300 s

try that it worked got my pilot liscence in 6 weeks

good luck
Old 08-17-2002, 03:08 AM
TRETRE

I got and gp extra 300s as my first low wing and after reading everyone's warnings I'm sacred to go back to the field in fear I will get my head chopped off by the locals........
Old 08-18-2002, 01:36 PM
IronCross

I have the GP Extra 40 size ARF. I am running an Irvine .53 in it and yes even that would fit inside the cowling. I did however cut a hole around the head for cooling and gloplug access. This is one great flying airplane and a good match to the .53. As for being your first lowwing airplane, it would not be my first choice. Things happen fast with it.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

Low wing, high wing; makes no difference. The correct question to ask is, "Do you have any tail-dragger time?" If not, you might want to convert your present aircraft to a tail-dragger before jumping into any of the afore mentioned "first low-wingers". In my opinion (FWIW), this is going to be a bigger transition than the location of the wing on the fuselage.

If you do have some tail-dragger time under your belt, the GP Extra 300 will be an easy transition. Just don't go wild on the CG or throws. Build it straight and light and have fun!

Daren
Old 08-20-2002, 11:23 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

That's a very good point Daren and I agree that tail dragger time has to be considered. I had suggested a tricycle geared plane in the T-34 and would like to add the old standby Ugly Stick as a next step up. It's actually TWO steps up, one to low wing and one to tail dragger...

quint
Old 08-21-2002, 01:48 AM
IronCross

Funny thing, the Extra was my first taildragger and I was concerned about it. No sweat with this plane. I eased the throttle forward, the tail came off the gound in about 15 feet and from then on it handled like a trycycle gear. Had around 50 or so take offs and landings so far and nary a problem with it. This is one sweet handling plane in the air and on the ground.