Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GMS RC Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:51 AM
David K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS RC Engines

Has anyone had experience with the GM line of RC engines? In particular, has anyone used the GMS .61 ringed ball bearing engine? Any input would be greatly appreciated since I am looking for a light an reasonably powerful .61.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GMS RC Engines

The GMS engines are quite powerful.

If you have not had a ringed engine before, you should know that you will most likely need an electric starter to get them running. MOST ringed engines have minimal compression until they are running. While ringed engines take longer to break in, they will last just about forever. I have a Webra 61 Blackhead that has more seasons on it than I care to count (as well as many CASES of fuel through it ) - still runs great.

You may also want to look at the Webras.

If you want an ABC/ABN, Evolution and Thunder Tiger make some very good engines.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:51 AM
Irish R.Seer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a GMS 61 running in an Acrostar bipe for two years without any problems. Took a while to break in as Campy says, but it has lots of power, starts easy, sets up well and for the price you can't go wrong. IMHO.
Bill
Old 09-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key to a good running ringed engine is the break-in. You need several runs of slobbering rich running on a castor blend fuel to do this. I leave the glow plug battery on for the first tank or 2. I would say to get a half gallon of fuel, add a little extra castor oil and run it through the engine 4-cycle rich. This sounds like a lot, but properly broken in, the engine will last forever. Well, nearly.

A buddy had a GMS .61 and it was potent, but I would suggest the .76. Same case, same weight, but it will turn a slightly larger prop or the same one a little faster.