Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how do I fill in a big space

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how do I fill in a big space

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:01 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I fill in a big space

I have to "fill in" the 2 rear windows of my Bell 222, in order to replicate the full scale heli, a CareFlite flying ambulance. The windows are about 2 1/4" * 2". I was thinking of gluing a 1/8" or 1/16" piece of balsa inside then filling the windows in with filler and sand it down even & smooth. If anyone has any other ideas or a better idea please let me know. Here's a pic. I know I should have done this b4 I started priming, but we all make mistakes. But it still needs a couple more coats anyway. A guy on the www made me some very sweet vinyl decals for the logo & numbers. I'll also attach a pic of what I'm going to try & replicate. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28965.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	174949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22856.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	174950  
Old 09-19-2004, 05:41 PM
davidmor

Default RE: how do I fill in a big space

Your plan sounds fine to me, but what am I missing here? The picture you attached shows two windows behind the cockpit windows, and your model has two windows behind the cockpit. From your pictures, to me it actually looks like you need to enlarge the window you circled. Maybe I am just not seeing what you are seeing. Anyways, the CareFlite scheme will make for a beautiful model.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:18 PM
DustOffUH1

Ya know what,,, you're not missing anything, you're right I'm glad I posted this and you noticed. Maybe when I checked I needed more room for the decal/logo. I'll have to check that out again. I've been working on this on & off for about 6 months now, probably longer, including the mechanics. Plus its a fiberglass body and getting rid of the pinholes is a &^%$#. But I did it. Been working on planes in between, and learning how to fly. Plus I'm taking my time with it because I really want it to look nice. I've painted plenty of stuff before, but nothing this "elaborate". Its going to be a challenge but it will be fun too. I just hope it turns out looking nice. I'm going to use automotive paint, which I've used for other models b4.
Thanks very much!
Joe
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fill it with a fiberglass repair--here's how: cut two or three pieces of light weight (2 or 3 oz.) fiberglass cloth (SIG Koverall also works) about 1/4 in larger than the opening. Rough up the inside of the body around the hole with #100 grit sandpaper. Place a piece of wax paper on your workbench, and place the chopper body on the wax paper with the hole tight against it (you may be able to tightly tape the paper to the body). Lay one of the pieces of cloth over the inside of the hole and brush on some thinned (about 30%) 5 min epoxy over the cloth, past its edges, thick enough to fill the weave. As soon as it starts to harden, mix another batch of full strength epoxy and repeat with the second piece of fabric. Repeat as needed to match the thickness of the rest of the body. The wax paper will peel off, leaving a smooth surface that should be flush with the outside of the chopper's body. Sand as needed,inside and out, and use filler to smooth any voids. It will be as strong as the rest of the body.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:07 PM
DustOffUH1

Thanks!! Whether or not I fill the window in. Now I have instructions on how to fill in a big space on a fiberglass body (just saved it in a word doc)
Thanks again!
Joe