Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Starter, what to use. need help

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Starter, what to use. need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
trottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Starter, what to use. need help

What do you guys use for starting your rc engines I have a Hobbico TorqMaster Deluxe 12 volt starter running off a 12 volt 7 Ah battery
it just doesn't seem to have enough power, It can hardly turn over my .71 4 stroke. Any suggestion please. THX
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
birdnest

Default RE: Engine Starter, what to use. need help

I'd try a stronger battery. I got a small motorcycle battery from Walmart (on sale because the box was torn), I think it puts out about 15 amps or so. Try running your starter off your car battery and you'll have your answer. I also bought a small charger from sears, I think it charges at 2 amps. The only downside is the battery will be heavier.

peter
Old 10-11-2004, 02:21 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a 12 volt starter but with a couple of RC car packs producing 14.4 volts. The starter doesn't seem to mind at all.

I've started up to G62 gas engines with it.

How old is the 12 volt battery and your starter, and how often do you charge the battery? If you let it get low between charges it'll wear out a lot sooner than if you keep it topped off.
Dennis-
Old 10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
TimC

trottle, I have pretty much the same set-up as yours, and I've used it to even start my 1.20 O.S. four stroke. I did buy a bigger starter to use on the 1.20, but the little Hobbico would do it. It sounds like a bad starter or battery.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM
mikeboyd

More amps, like the first guy said, usually does it. While at Walmart, check out the cheaper, but more powerful lawnmower batteries. For about $20.00 you can have nearly 350 cold cranking amps for starting almost anything, including a dead car, and hook up your smart charger too while your at it. I built a simple ply box with two of these in it, with bannana plug receptacles, for the club members to use. Everyone loves it for that hard to start engine or a quick recharge. Some starters will even take 24 volts, but be careful as that much volts and amps really makes a starter turn nearly too fast. Sullivan makes some of the strongest starters out there for not much more than the cheaper Hobbico and Tower units. I've got them all, but like the Sullivan the best for all around use.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM
TimC

I feel there is a danger of having too much cranking power. In the case of an inadvertent hydraulic lock, the starter that will just turn your engine will slip and give you a warning, if you forget to run it through a compression stroke by hand.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my little handheld Kavan gear reduction starter that can start up to a YS 1.40 with ease:

Here is said engine smoking out the neighbors:

Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

all you need to do is go to sears or car parts store and buy a riding lawnmower batterie. thats what i use.