Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smoooooth operating retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoooooth operating retracts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoooooth operating retracts

Hey guys,

I have installed a new set of ROBART RETRACTS in my H9 P-51. I have a flow control valve on EACH of the retracts so I can set them independantly to operate as smooth as possible. Now, after many years of being an industrial maintenance mechanic, I have been stumped by a set of pneumatic cylinders. I can not seem to get these to operate as smooth as I want. I am thinking that after a little use, the O-rings will loosen up a bit and they might work a little smoother. I am also thinking that I may need to pull them back out real quick and lube all places where friction may be present.

How do you guys get them to operate smoothly? Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Smoooooth operating retracts

Since air will compress, every itty bitty tiny spot of drag will stop the retracts until the air can overcome it. The only way to get perfectly smooth operation is to not restrict the air. Of course then they are too fast and slam open and closed. They will get a little better over time but will always be a bit "notchy".