Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tail Braces

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Braces

Sup People,

Since I had an inflight failure of left H-stab, I would like to add tail braces to my Aresti 40. What would be an easy, yet lightweight, method of adding tail braces/flying wires? I was thinking of getting some hollow aluminum tube, then cutting it to the appropriate length, and squeezing the ends in a vise (to make a flat spot), angling the ends as needed and drilling through and secure using screws and nuts. I think this method is much lighter than most of the store-bought versions. I also noticed that at my LHS, there wasn't any real selection of tail braces/wires for a .40 size plane. I am very sceptical of the Aresti 40's tail group now and would definitely like to barce it. I just received a new tail group from them in the mail yesterday (I was able to safely land the plane after the h-stab tore off). Any help on how I can strengthen the H-stab would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gary
Old 10-22-2004, 09:06 AM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: Tail Braces

You could get some 2-56 threaded rod (or a bicycle spoke that is re-threaded), attach/solder one half a clevis at each end (cut one arm off a clevis) and bolt it through the fin/stab using one bolt/nut to hold both sides.

This is how the Somethin' Extra is done and it works like a charm. Not sure if it was their method or one I picked up elsewhere but it's a good way to do it IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47013.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	185339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74392.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	185340  
Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

When you install the new tail section, be sure to add triangle stock fillets to the top and bottom. 1/2" triangle stock is preferred. As for tail braces, I made my own from 2-56 metal pushrods, custom cut and bent. I used 6-32 nuts and bolts to attach them, going completely through each surface to the brace on the opposite side. I bent eyelets in the ends to put the bolts through, needle nose pliers made this task very easy. See pics below for more detail.

Name:	Fd92551.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	185341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50566.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	185342  
Old 10-22-2004, 09:33 AM
ez2bgman

Primodus,

Do you think I should add braces to the top and bottom? Or would the top be sufficient enough? I am new to tail brace thing. Where on the surface of the stabs should I mount them to? Both of the stabs are built up and do not have much room to drill into to. I think I would have to attach through the leading edge on the v-stab and the trailing edge on the h-stab.

Here are a couple of pics of the resulting failure. I received my new tail group yesterday. Do you think the tail braces are enough are should I open up the h-stab and reinforce it with some spruce?

Thanks
Gary

Name:	Jh15983.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	185346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47701.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	185347  
Old 10-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Primodus

Definately top and bottom. And since they are built up, open them up and add hardwood mounting points about 2/3 the distance from the fuse to the tip of each surface. Also, add some triange stock fillets to the corners. 1/4" or 1/2" balsa triangle stock will do nicely, use 30 min epoxy on all steps.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:08 PM
ez2bgman

Well I modified the new tail group. I put a spruce spar just behind the leading edge, spanning the entire width of the h-stab. I also added tail braces that I made out of hollow aluminum tube.

Here are a few pics. Btw I put three flights on her today and she handled great.

Name:	Vt58096.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	185867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13139.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	185868  
Old 10-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Primodus

Looks great ez! Glad it worked out and I hope it stays together on you this time (knock on balsa)!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:19 PM
ez2bgman

Thanks Primodus.

I was planning on getting a few more flights on her today (Monday), but I just got back home from helping my Stepdad doing some landscaping (ewww....). But I should be able to put a few flights on her tomorrow (Tuesday). I really plan on wringing her out now. I started feeling really comfortable with the plane by my third flight on Saturday. Several of my fellow club members said that I have "nerves of steel". Our club president had his digital camera and I told him to get ready for a photo opp. Anyway, I brought her in, flipped her inverted, and passed our president about 2-3 ft off the deck. They all thought I was crazy for flying like this with only 5 flights total on her. I just gave them a big smirk... hehe

Gary