Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Saito 65 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito 65 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 06:27 PM
jill210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 65 Questions

I am breaking in a Saito 65. It's new but it's an older engine that was never out of the box. My question is it normal for the front bearing to drip oil. This one drips quite a bit. I have a Saito 56 and you don't notice this. But it's crank vent it on the front by the front bearing so you wouldn't. This one is on the back plate. Motor runs great, but wondering if sitting all these years maybe the bearing seal has dried up. What do you think? Also I'm turning a balanced 13/6 APC prop. Turns it about 10500. Seems a bit high. But that's what it calls for.
Thanks

JIM
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Saito 65 Questions

What defines quite a bit varies with the individual, but the .65 should not drip quantities of oily residue from the front bearing (some slight weeping is OK). If you have made sure the residue is in fact coming from inside the case at that point, then it's a fairly simple and inexpensive matter to replace the bearings on the .65.

quint
Old 10-22-2004, 11:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What series engine do you have? Look on the mounting lugs and there should be a letter stamped on it. I bought an older model last year that was an"A" series, and I bought another one 3 months ago that was a "U". My older one has an air-bleed carburetor and the new one has a needle for the low end. My old one was never run before I got it but runs great, no leak as you describe. How long have you been runnung it? I wonder if the seal could re-seat itself after a while. Like Quint says, it isn't a big deal to fix, I wouldn't get rid of the engine.

I run a 14-6 Master Airscrew and 14-6 Zinger wooden prop on mine, tachs about 9600. You might consider going to the larger diameter, keep the engine from over-revving, unless it causes ground clearance problems. I,too, have a .56 also. love them both, use a 12-5 on the .56
Old 10-23-2004, 12:16 AM
jill210

It has an M on the lug. It also has the the modern bleeder screw in the lower end. I drips oil as it runs and hardly any comes out the crank case vent. Thought maybe it was plugged, but doesn't seem to be. I wouldn't think the bearings would be bad. It's never been run before. I probably an early 90's engine. New in the box. I have run two 5 oz tanks of fuel through it. It runs smooth and transitions great, idles great. I have put bearings in a 2 cycle but not a 4 cycle. Didn't there used to be a Saito support site on RC Universe?

Thanks

JIM
Old 10-23-2004, 04:47 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

The front bearing is the seal and they don't fix themselves. Put in a new one and save yourself some time, or live with it. Either way, if the bearings don't feel rough it won't affect operation.