Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Kit Box + Powerpanel question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Kit Box + Powerpanel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit Box + Powerpanel question

Hi

Im working on my first plane and just starting out in the hobby. Ive brought a toolbok kit for all my gear, but have a question about powerpanels. So far the equipment that Ive brought so far (and that goes in various places in the kitbox ) is:

- 12V Battery
- Eletric Starter
- Glowstick (on its on rechargable battery, it dont use the 12V battery)
- 4ch Radio
- Fuelpump (manual, handdriven)
- Fuelcan
- Some other equipment like screwdrivers, wrenches, etc in small slots

I was just wondering do I need a power panel too? What is the advantage of such a panel, do I need one or is it no point when then i dont have an eletric fuelpump? And, should I need one, what type of features should i look for in a powerpanel?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:22 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Kit Box + Powerpanel question

I have a generic 'rubber maid' tool box, a manual fueller, a rechargable glo-igniter, a battery, and a starter. I have no need for a power panel.

It used to be, that the power panel was 'kind of' needed, as it powered the glo igniter, and will also power teh electric fuel pump. And provides a connection point for your starter motor. Some have said, taht the amount of current running thought the power panel to run teh starter, can heat up teh power panel. And you're relying on this power to go though a series of connetors, where you will get some loss.

Wire the starter (amost) directly to the battery.
Charge the glow igniter the night before (and it shoudl last a few week-ends before needing to be re-charged!)
Hand fuel pump. good enough... It's only about 10 oz of liquid. a few cranks...
$20 for a 'tool box' as opposed to the $45 for a dedicated 'build it yourself' wooden 'feild box' (and you'll need to paint & fuel proof it afterwards.)

So, my opinion, don't bother. save teh $50 for teh panel to get something else, like more props & fuel!

I use a bucket to carry te fuel jug, teh paper twol, and teh various celaning products. Also can help carry other 'spillable' items...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

brsseb,
I like things really simple, so my flight box contains only my fuel, electric starter, 7amp/12v gel-cell battery, ni-starter and fuel pump.
The ni-starter is a single cell, self contained unit, and the fuel pump is a hand crank pump.

The only reason I need my battery is for the starter, and I also use the battery to power my fast field charger.

Bottom line is that there is absolutely no need for a power panel if you really want to keep things simple.

Highflight
Old 11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'll give you a completely different perspective. I have a power panel. I use the glow driver on it to start my engines. I also have an electric starter, but I usually leave it at home. I used to have an electric fuel pump, but after the second one died I decided a hand pump worked just fine. I might feel different about electric pumps if I flew larger planes, but since I prefer smaller planes, below .40, hand pumping is not a big deal.

I've found that by using the glow driver on the power panel I have no trouble hand starting my engine. On the few occasions I have used a glow starter I found it took longer to get the engine started. Note to readers, let's not get into a discussion of the pros and cons of hand starting versus electric, it's been beat to death already in other threads. This way I only have one battery in my flight box (the 12v one) to care for rather than two (12v plus glow starter). Every month or so I hook a motorcycle battery charger to the 12v battery to keep it charged. Personally, I find glow starters to be too much trouble.

For your setup, using electric starter and glow starter, I see no reason why you need to add a power panel.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:24 PM
brsseb

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
For your setup, ...I see no reason why you need to add a power panel.
Thats what i thought too . Also, the eletric starter got clamps (like startcables for cars got) and not plugs that would fit a powerpanel. And since it seems to be the only thing thats gonna use the 12V battery atm, ill just hardwire it to the battery like you said.

Also, the big whole left by the powerpanel seems like a nice space to put some props and other stuff into it.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Dusty1

I just bought a power panel from Tower Hobbies for $19.95, specifically because I wanted a corded glow igniter to use as a backup to my rechargeable glow igniter. I've charged my glow igniter the night before going flying only to have it die on me after only a few flights. I have an extra battery for it, but I like knowing that I have a corded backup just in case. The power panel also has a quick charge for the chargeable glow igniter and that's nice.

My twelve volt battery is connected to both my power panel and two bolts that I use for my starter and my quick field charger. Some stuff comes with banana plugs and others with clips, this way I can satisfy both without having to cut and change one of the connector types out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85592.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	190591  
Old 11-07-2004, 01:59 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

I got rid of the clamps, and replaced it with banana plugs. My 12v is connected to banana jacks is in a homemade box with the starter mounted on it. A little heavy, but it works for me. All other devices requiring 12v now have banana plugs: field charger, glow charger, etc. No power panel.

To address the issue of a dead glow starter, I bring two to the field, and have a field charger for that.

One advantage of a hand pump is that you can count the revolutions to monitor how much fuel was consumed in the previous flight and adjust flight times accordingly.

I have a small field box, and the space where the 12v battery and power panel goes is occupied by a bunch more tools.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Here's a "visual" for you, brsseb, on how to keep it simple and light.
Even the smallest of the commercial field boxes weren't compact enough for me so I drew up my own design and put it together using 1/4" lite ply.
The photo is self explanatory, but note the two banana plug jacks under where the starter is sitting. The 7amp/12volt gel-cell battery is under a drop-in floor panel that the starter rests on, and the banana plug jacks are handy for both the starter, my fast field charger, as well as to use as charging jacks for when I charge the 7amp gel-cell battery.
It doesn't get much simpler than that, and I even have a place to put a couple of extra tools for adjusting the carburator so I don't have to run back and forth to my main tool box.

Highflight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60808.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	190633  
Old 11-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Dusty1

Nice box.