Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Foam Wings ~ ideas ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Foam Wings ~ ideas ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:37 AM
derek marpole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Foam Wings ~ ideas ?

I like to cover veneered foam wings with tissue and dope (after sealing very well to avoid melting the foam), as this gives a very tough finish. I have been toying with the idea of covering with tissue applying it with wallpaper paste, and then painting with some sort of undercoat to fill the weave rather than using dope, and then painting with enamels as per usual.

Has anyone tried a similar method, any tips, pointers or comments ?

Thanks to all

Derek
Old 11-15-2004, 06:41 PM
bigchap

Default RE: Covering Foam Wings ~ ideas ?

i have used brown paper and a 50/50 mix of pva glue and water,it will go round compound curves when very wet and gives a very strong finish when dry,don't worry about wrinkles as they all disappear when dry.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:06 PM
derek marpole

Thanks very much for the feedback.....I suppose you used the bog standard parcel brown paper ?...sounds like a great idea, and i will certainly give it a try. How do you suggest I prepare the covered surface for a finish (its a fun fighter by Cambrian).....
Regards,
Derek
Old 11-15-2004, 07:25 PM
kdheath

A killer quick way to do what you're after is to apply silkspan with Minwax PolyCrylic. Foam brush a light coat of the PC, lay the 'span down and apply another light coat of PC. I pat it down if needed with a paper towel. Let it dry over night, apply another light coat if it looks too thin. Block sand with 180 grit. I sand lightly with 400 grit wet-or-dry (dry) and it's ready to prime. Dries to a rock-hard finish and doesn't stink.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 AM
derek marpole

Thanks very much for the advice.....Silkspan I know, but Minwax PolyCrylic is unknown to me.....what is this product ?
I actually live in S Korea, and I can get most things (apart from dope) but often they are under different brand names.
I fly over rice fields that have been harvested.....great flying sites but a little tough for the landings on the hard stubble.
Advice much appreciated.