Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron servo wires(help)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron servo wires(help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 AM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aileron servo wires(help)

I recently picked up a started kit. The wing was already framed and and wing halves joined together. I am going to install two aileron servos in the wing. What would be the best way to try to cut or channel each rib to route aileron extension wires since this was not done while the wing halves were apart? Any help is appreciated.
Barzini
Old 11-26-2004, 11:15 AM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aileron servo wires(help)

I generally cut a slot in each rib using small drill and making 2 holes about 1/2" apart and then use the exacto knife with a #11 blade to remove the wood between the holes. The slot should be big enough so the connector just fits through. Some like to be able to remove the servo if needed by using an extension cable long enough to reach the servo bay which would allow easy removal.

DaveB
Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, but I make the holes larger. You never know when you may need to remove or replace the servo, and even if you DID put a string in there to pull the new wire through (or didn't lose the string somehow) it's much easier to thread the new servo wire through a decent sixe hole.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:04 PM
upnflyin

I had to cut ribs to run servo wires and used a hand held paper punch to make two holes spaced a little wider than the servo connector then used my exacto to cut out the balsa between the holes. Made an excellent oval shaped hole. 0___0 Another line across the top but can't do it on the puter. A paper punch cuts thru balsa nicely.
Al
Old 11-26-2004, 05:04 PM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

I've done it just like upnflyin says on my current build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65094.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	196757  
Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Does anyone have any secrets to putting extensions in the wings of a funtana 40 because the wings come preglued.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Live Wire

Feed it through with piano wire with a loop on the end tapeing end to wire so it won't get hung up on ribs on the way through!

[8D]
Old 11-27-2004, 01:03 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

The best trick I've learned is to get a pretty good length of chain. The chain with the little round balls like what you wear dog tags on. Tie a piece of string onto the chain and the chain pulls the string around corners, through offset holes etc. It works great. I've never had a problem threading extensions using this method. I'm telling you, you'll have a new regard for the "dog tag" type chain and you'll have several of them. One for the field box and one for the shop..
John