Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Moki-1.35 in Lazy Ace

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Moki-1.35 in Lazy Ace

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 03:14 AM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki-1.35 in Lazy Ace

Have a 72"wing Lazy Ace How would this engine work in plane that size.It had a Saito 180 but I am leary of 4-strokes no experience that area.Any other recommendations of good engine for it?There are a couple other 2-strokes in that size I believe also.Thanks!
Old 08-22-2002, 03:35 PM
BingoFlyer

I would stick with the Saito 180, four strokes are not that hard and use far less fuel that two strokes. I am running both and find that the four strokes a more reliable, easier to start and adjust.

I would think that either of these engines would have more than enough power for your Lazy Ace. The Lazy Ace is a fine flying bird, enjoy!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have put a Quadra 35cc and a Quadra 41cc in my Lazy Aces, both good combinations. I also had a 1.20 4 cycle in the first one and it was also a pleasure to fly.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:58 AM
eagle 01

Is the Saito that much better than the OS.Hear that they require long breakin etc wher OS much simpler?Have seen the 180 in the lazy ace I don't need that kind of preformance his went vertical till couldn't hardly see it.Not up to that yet.See OS has the ones with the pump and without any need for the pumped version?Seems everyone thinks the Saito is superior to OS and YS above them all?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:43 PM
BingoFlyer

My four strokes are OS without the pump and will agree that the Saito 180 may be more power than you need but I have always said that is what the throttle is used for. I would much rather have a bird that is slightly overpowered than two that are under powered.

The Saito does require more break-in time and castor is not recommended as a lube due to the one piece cylinder/head unit.
I'm not sure that the Saito is any better than the OS and know nothing about the YS. By the way my Moki required a long break-in also and keeps getting better all the time (about 5 gal. run through it) so it may not be broke in yet.

I like to use some Castor in all of my engines (better rust protection and better lube. the down side is that it form varnish that would be hard to remove in Saito's one piece head/cylinder) so do not own a Saito, but have seen many of them at the clubs I go to and every owner of a Saito has been happy with it.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:43 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Moki 1.35 will spin an APC 17X8 at 9200 rpm and an 18X8 APC at 8600 rpm using only FIVE percent nitro fuel. That's right up there w/ the Saito 1.80 which requires at least 15% nitro fuel. Also the Moki consumes 1.5 oz per minute, compared to the Saito at 2 oz/min (both at full throttle.

25% better fule ecomony on cheaper fuel spells big savings at the pump! Yes, the Moki requires about 45 min break-in before you can fly it.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:28 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I have the OS 120 non pump, The Saito 180, and the Moki 180.
They are all excelent motors. For the 72 inch lazy ace I would go with the OS 120 non pump or a Saito 120. If you are really much more at home with the 2 stroke the Moki 135 will give you more power than you need but as you know you don't have to use all the power.

I purchased the OS and the Moki right here on RCU used and got two motors already broke in and at a great price.

have fun with your Ace

tonyc