Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nylon Hindge Installation - getting it right!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nylon Hindge Installation - getting it right!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nylon Hindge Installation - getting it right!

I've used nylon hindges in the past and they are very free if you get them in right. However, if they are not all on the same line, they can click and bind. What is the technique to insure that their placement is correct!

Paul
Old 12-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nylon Hindge Installation - getting it right!

DUbro has a little guide that you put on the wing trailing edge and control surface leading edge. You just insert the blade and it makes a straight cut. I know lots of folks use the electric hinge cutter, but the little dubro tool is cheap and it works. Other than that I just measure really carefully and dry fit alot.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nylon Hindge Installation - getting it right!

Like Gringo says, the hinge cuts must be along a straight line, on both the fixed surface and the control surface. In addition, the hinges must be inserted to the same depth, so the hinge joints are in a straight line. Under those conditions the surface will not click when deflected.

Of course, the joint must be tight, almost gapless. That requires that the fixed and contol surfaces be dead straight, and the hinges right in the middle. Some of us leave a millimeter or so gap, and seal the bottom side with Monokote, or do something equivalent.

Not so difficult, after you've done a few. Good luck,
Dave Olson