Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which 60 size retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which 60 size retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 60 size retracts?

Just ordered a SIG 4*60 and are playing with the idea to install retracts on it.
I've never had retracts on a plane and wonder what type and brand I should choose?

Are the mechanical ones easier to install and operate, they seem cheaper and that's good!
Don't want to spend hundreds of $ on this, just want a set of retracts that are beginner friendly and reasonably prised.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which 60 size retracts?

Great Planes .60 size mechanical retracts are good.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Test005

How many retract servos do I need for these Great Planes retracts, is one servo operating both "arms" or are there one servo per retract?

What's the main diffrence between the pneumatic retracts and the mechanical ones?
Ok, compressed air versus mech, but why pay $200 for a set of pneumatic when you can get a mech retract for $40?
Old 12-12-2004, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the four star would be cool with retracts. Being a tail dragger there wasn’t much space provided for a nose retract unit but a belly mount might work. I prefer the pneumatics, Spring-Air or Rom-Air are very good. The down side of the Spring-Air retracts is they spring to the down position and you can’t transport the aircraft with the gear retracted like you can with the Rom-Air units. You can find tri gear Rom-Air retracts on ebay occasionally for less than $100.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need a single retract servo to operate the GP mechanical retracts. Air retracts are used in bigger planes because they are more sturdy and can lift up heavy scale wheels and struts, which a mechanical retract servo will have problems doing so. No mechanical retract servo can put out the same torque that 100 psi of air can put out.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Test005

Any more ideas on mechanical retracts, what about the Dave Brown retracts, are they too small for a 60 size plane?