Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How much should i expect to pay for....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How much should i expect to pay for....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:49 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should i expect to pay for....

How much should i expect to pay for someone to cover my Sig Hog bipe? I know how much the covering will cost and i just plan on having 3 colors for the fusalage, wings, rudder and elevator. I've done a few repairs on some of my wings and they don't look all that great and i know if i try to cover a whole plane it would look like crap. Since the cold weather is here noone is at the field anymore so i cant ask if there is even someone that does that kinda thing. Sooner or later i will try and cover a plane by myself but i have a pretty good idea of what it's gonna look like and i don't want my Bipe since it's my first build, to look like garbage.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: How much should i expect to pay for....

You gotta start somewhere, and whether it looks like crap is in the eyes of the beholder. Take your time, buy a video on covering and watch it and be patient. There's a woman member in one of our area clubs, does beautiful building and covering; she said the best way to learn was to build a cube out of balsa sticks, sheet a couple of the sides, and cover it, gives you practice in trimming, shrinking, making good seams, etc. When you get it like you want, then cover your plane. You'll be prouder of it, being able to say "I built it and covered it myself" and if there is a wrinkle or crease or some other blemish, so what, it was your first one, and the second one will be better, and the third, even better still. Not to mention you didn't have to shell out more cash for somebody else's labor.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:21 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

I agree, DO IT YOURSELF!!! It makes you feel proud it see YOUR hard work in the sky not someones elses. I have seen some of the ugliest covering jobs on the ground that look great in the air. Who cares what the OTHER guy thinks of your covering, if somebody talks bad about your work it only because they can't do it either. A seasoned flyier knows what it is all about and is just happy to see you flying. If you want, find somebody in the local club to come by your place one day and help get you started in the right direction, but do it yourself, you'll be happy you did. [8D]
Old 12-14-2004, 12:28 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If you already know that it will look like crap, then the pressure is off, right ?

Really, khodges is right. You have to start sometime. And you will get the hang of it.

Try to have all the seems facing back or down. It is like putting shingles on a roof. So a peice won't try to come loose and get the slipstream under it.

The instructions in the roll of Monokote are actually pretty good.

MY first plane was a Sterling Mini Fledgling. 1/2 thing. I only had to cover this tiny wing and the tail. It took me two rolls !!!

Winter time is perfect for you to learn this, so come on !!!!! You can do it !!!! And so what if you trash a few pieces on Monokote ? You were going to give that money away to have it covered anyway.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with the others, do it yourself. Do a few searches, you'll find links to many helpful tips, and there are a few great covering videos available online. One of the most important things for avoiding wrinkles is to iron down the edges first. Once the whole part is covered, use a heat gun to shrink the middle. Also, if you're doing something like a wing, do not shrink the whole side at one time. Do a little on the top, then some on the bottom. This helps avoid introducing a warp.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also suggest using a LOW TEMP film such as Ultracote (Oracover in other parts of the world). It goes around curves much better than MoneyKote and costs about the same.

A couple of things to remember with ANY shrink type covering - use the lowest possible heat to shrink the covering since any reshrinking requires a higher temperature to get it to shrink. Try to get the covering as tight as is REASONABLY possible BEFORE shrinking it - this is normally done by tacking it, pulling it tight and then tacking it again. The more tacking/pulling you do before sealing the edges USUALLY results in a better job when shrinking.

The video on tacking is quite good, however, if someone can show you how to cover something once, that is normally all it takes, the rest is practice.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Be sure to check out the videos here on RCU.

When I built my first plane I dreaded having to cover it, and it came out OK. My second one was better and now it is my favorite part of building. I cant wait to cover my next plane. Plus there is nothing better than a clean monokote job just finished.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you ask the best covering guru in the club to come to your house and show you how to do it? It is really not that hard and he can show you in no time flat and then you will know.

Better to do it that way and get something out of it. Its really not that hard.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 PM
wilinfla
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with everyone, you got to learn sometime. I would also suggest maybe using one of the Tex coverings like Solartex. They are much easier than Monokote and will go around curves wiht relative ease. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:10 PM
runner

Everyone has given tukkus good advice, but no one has answered his question. Two guys here locally that I have heard of build, repair and cover airplanes for others. One charges by the hour and the other gives estimates. I do not know what it would cost for someone else to cover your plane, tukkus, but wish you luck in finding someone that will do an excellent job for you.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:20 AM
CafeenMan

I am a custom builder and I agree that you should cover the plane yourself. I charge more than most club builders but I'm also a better builder than most club builders I've known and I guarantee my work. That being said, I would charge $200.00 to cover the plane with up to 3 colors in either a "tex" or a light film. I would charge more for Monokote because it is the most difficult of all coverings to apply and while applying it I'm swearing the entire time.

I think you could get a club builder to cover the plane for maybe $100.00, but you can probably get one to show you how at your place or his for free. You can buy him dinner or something.