Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Observation-high wind vs dihedral

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Observation-high wind vs dihedral

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Spanky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observation-high wind vs dihedral

Good day.
An observation was made flying in high wind the other day. I'm checking it with the Great RCU.

A Stick 40 built with almost no dihedral was a choice for high blustery winds. 40 mph wind gusts made for some great practice. But alas the date stamp on the plane (and an Rx bat went dead) ended it. There was at least 2-300 flights on this brute.

A 1978 sig kadet 3 channel heavy dihedral was resurrected and ailerons added. Even in 20 mph wind gusts it's down right scary what configurations that plane ends up in! The same was also noticed on a small old golden wing w/heavy dihedral.
I found early on if you can get a junker plane up in high winds you get ALOT of practice real quick.

It appears a heavy dihedral is more effected in high winds. Is this a true statement?

Spanky
Old 12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Spaceclam

Default RE: Observation-high wind vs dihedral

yes
Old 12-24-2004, 09:49 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On the ground yes any airplane with a lot of dihedral has a more difficult time but in the air in my opinion wing loading has far more to do with the airplanes tolerance of wind than just the presence of dihedral.

John
Old 12-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Spaceclam

that is true, but that is not the question.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:35 AM
JohnBuckner

[quote]ORIGINAL: Spanky1
It appears a heavy dihedral is more effected in high winds. Is this a true statement?
Spanky
[/quote

My communications skills must be lacking as it certainly appears that is precisely the question to which I proviced an accurate and concise answer.

John
Old 12-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Spaceclam

lol. i am just saying that he never mentioned wing loading. just pulling your leg though. valid point.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:21 AM
JohnBuckner

Cool[8D]
Old 12-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Sig Kadet is lighter and will bounce more. In addition, you mention it is 3-channel which will also be harder to control in gusty winds. Any yaw induced by the gusts will translate to roll. The Stick with no dihedral will have much less roll due to yaw so it won't get as far out of shape as the Kadet.

I had am old Joss Stick weighing over 10 pounds that had 3 degrees of anhedral on each side so it had no roll with yaw. I could fly it in a near hurricane.

Other than just the bouncing around in the gusts, it is the coupling between the axes that get you really out of shape.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Spanky1

Thank you!
The 3 channel Kadet HAS ailerons added (making it a 4 channel). BUT in the high winds the ailerons almost won't work, max rudder and ailerons are the only way to stay in flight..........pointing to the dihedral.

If you need practice with rudder AND ailerons, that set up in high wind sure gives you LOTS of practice real quick[X(]

JohnBuckner said in the wind high wing loading is better........ If high wingloading = a high lift wing, than a high lift trainer wing would jump up w/each gust right? More speed across the wing gives lift, therefore a quick gust of wind = quick lift, right? Maybe I missed something.

Spanky
Old 12-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

"JohnBuckner said in the wind high wing loading is better........ If high wingloading = a high lift wing, than a high lift trainer wing would jump up w/each gust right? More speed across the wing gives lift, therefore a quick gust of wind = quick lift, right? Maybe I missed something."

Not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking, but a trainer (low wing loading) will be more effected by the wind than a warbird (very high wing loading).

EX. A topflight AT6 Texan (high wing load) has a wingloading of 24-32 oz/sq ft and PT 40 (low wing load) has a wingloading of 17-21 oz/sq ft. Which will the wind move more, a surface with 32 oz of pressure per sq ft or a surface with 21 oz of pressure per sq ft?

Of course this only stays true if the wings have the same shape bc the dihedral in the PT 40 wing will also effect its response in the wind. BUt with all things equal lower wing loading=more effect by the wind
Old 12-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Spanky1

Ya know what?......you're right. My head was buried at the moment, and thats what I ment, it was bass ackwards. Sorry

Spanky
Old 12-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Hey, I am just glad I understood what you were asking